Expanded Skyrim Grimoire - BETA TESTERS WANTED!

steelfeathers

Expanded Skyrim Grimoire

Do you like playing as a mage, but think that Skyrim's out-of-the-box selection of spells is rather lacking?
Do other magic mods not quite scratch that itch for more and better spells?

Well then, my new mod, Expanded Skyrim Grimoire, might have just what you're looking for. Read on.

WHAT IS THIS?
A (WIP) mod that adds new spells (and scrolls, staves) to every magic school in Skyrim, seeking to flesh out the potential of each school in a lore-friendly way that allows for a variety of unique role-playing styles.
Want to play as a stealthy assassin-mage? Want to play as a disease-wielding shaman? Expanded Skyrim Grimoire allows you to do both of those things.

Note: This mod is designed to work with and take advantage of the vanilla perk system. If a spell seems weak, try unlocking perks in that magicka school.

NOTE 2: The mod is heavily work-in-progress! It won't crash your game, and the spells you can buy from vendors all work. HOWEVER, I'm only about 1/4 of the way done adding spells, and of course a lot of work needs to be done checking for balancing and bugs. Want to help? Be a beta tester!

http://i.imgur.com/TTheObQ.png

MORE SCREENSHOTS

http://i.imgur.com/iPvYJ9W.png
http://i.imgur.com/Ys3aANN.png
http://i.imgur.com/hsbeNFY.png
http://i.imgur.com/uc6uvnW.png
http://i.imgur.com/q3rcKhE.png

>>>Download<<<

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26448149/Expanded%20Skyrim%20Grimoire%20(beta).zip

Current/Planned Spell List
This list will expand as I complete new spells. The spells listed below with (D) are the ones currently available for sale by in-game vendors. (If you use the console to directly give yourself a spell or book not on this list, be warned that it may not function correctly!)

Alteration:
(Novice)

• Unlock (D) - For 10 seconds, the caster can automatically open locks. The higher the caster's alteration skill, the stronger the locks that can be opened. (Novice = 10, Apprentice = 25, Adept = 40, Expert = 65, Master = 90)
  • Rusting Curse (D) - Reduces the target's armor rating for 30 sec. Scales with the strength of the target's armor.
  • Crystallize (D) - Improves the caster's magic resistance by 25 points for 60 seconds.

(Apprentice)

• Exchange Stamina (D) - Restore 10 magicka per second, at the cost of 15 stamina per second.
  • Withering Curse (D) - Reduces the target's magicka regen by 50%. The target loses a bit of magicka whenever they cast a spell.
  • Grow Claws - the caster grows a pair of claws. Greatly boosts unarmed damage and speed.
  • Construct Dwarven Spider - requires a filled petty soul gem, a cog, and dwemer junk. Creates a permanent dwarven spider.

(Adept)

• Curse of Inversion - Healing spells and potions cause damage; damaging spells and potions cause healing.
  • Thorns - The caster grows a thorny hide. Targets in melee range take periodic damage, and bleed for a long time.
  • Mage's Gamble - Reduces maximum health by 25%; increases maximum magicka by 25%.
  • Construct Dwarven Sphere - requires a filled lesser soul gem, two cogs, and dwemer junk. Creates a permanent dwarven sphere.

(Expert)

• Forest Curse - The target is slowed by 50% for 4 seconds, then turned into a tree for 60 seconds. Upon thawing, the target takes massive damage.
  • Grow Wings - The caster sprouts a pair of wings. Increases speed, jump height, fall distance, weapon speed, and evasion chance.
  • Construct Dwarven Ballista - Requires a filled common soul gem and dwemer materials. Creates a permanent dwarven ballista.

(Master)

• Medusa's Stare - If the target's level is less than the caster's level and the target has less than 50% health, turns the target permanently to stone.
  • Transformation - The caster transforms into a fearsome creature. Can only be used once a day.
  • Construct Dwarven Centurion - Requires a filled greater soul gem and dwemer materials. Creates a permanent dwarven centurion that responds to basic commands.

Conjuration:
(Novice)

• Summon Bone Warrior (D) - conjures a skeleton warrior for 60 seconds.
  • Spectral Shield (D) - conjures a ghostly shield that increases magic resistance by 40%(50%) while blocking. Mystic Binding increases shield armor value and magic resistance.

(Apprentice)

• Summon Bone Marksman (D) - conjures a skeleton archer for 60 seconds.

(Adept)

• Grand Spectral Shield (D) - conjures a ghostly shield that increases magic resistance by 60%(70%) while blocking. Mystic Binding increases shield armor value and magic resistance.
  • Command Undead (D) - Target undead below level x becomes an ally for 60 seconds. Level increases w/ conjuration perks. Doesn't work on vampires.
  • Summon Bone Sorcerer (D) - conjures a skeleton mage for 60 seconds.

(Expert)

• Command Gargoyle (D) - Conjures a powerful gargoyle. Damages caster health by 50 when casting.
  • Devouring Wraith (D) - conjures a wraith that is 2x weak to physical damage, has no magicka regeneration, and starts w/ 0 magicka, but absorbs all magicka from incoming spells and is capable of casting devastating spells with the magicka it absorbs.

(Master)

• Bone Overlord (D) - Conjures a skeleton overlord permanently. The overlord can take basic commands, and can wield one-handed, two-handed, bows, and staves.
  • Raise Skeletal Dragon (D) - conjures a skeletal dragon to guard a location until destroyed.
  • Cast Out (D) - Banish a living, non-essential target to Oblivion. Effectiveness increases w/ conjuration perks.
  • Lady of the Veil (D)- For 15 seconds, can summon any number of lesser summons/undead.
  • Legendary Spectral Shield (D) - conjures a ghostly shield that increases magic resistance by 80%(90%) while blocking. Chance to shock the attacker when hit while blocking. Mystic Binding increases shield armor value and magic resistance.

Destruction:

*Targets affected by Searing Pain take more damage from fire spells

*Targets affected by Lingering Cold take more damage from frost spells

*Targets affected by Static Charge have a small chance to be electrocuted when hit by shock spells

(Novice)

• Ice Shiv - Silently hit the target with a tiny spear of ice. Does double damage if the caster is undetected.
  • Jolt - Silently hits the target with a jolt of electricity. Does double damage if the caster is undetected.
  • Flame lance - Silently hit the target with a small jet of flame. Does double damage if the caster is undetected.

(Apprentice)

• Fox Fire - Fills the area with dancing balls of spirit fire for 60 seconds. Targets are randomly set on fire. Applies Searing Pain. (AOE)
  • Black Ice - Covers the floor in ice for 60 seconds. Targets take a small amount of frost damage every second, and have a chance to stagger. Applies Lingering Cold. (AOE)
  • Electrify - ??? Applies Static Charge. (AOE)

(Adept)

• Deep Freeze - Instantly freezes the target solid for 1 second, doing massive damage. Does double damage if the caster is undetected.
  • Electrocute - Instantly electrocutes the target, doing massive damage. Does double damage if the caster is undetected.
  • Fire Bomb - Silently places a mark on the target, which explodes for massive damage in 5 seconds. Does double damage if the caster is undetected.

(Expert)

• Hellfire - Shoots a gout of green flame that reduces fire resistance and creates a fire hazard for 3 seconds on anything it touches.
  • Icicle Hazard - Creates jagged ice spikes on the ground, which cause damage on contact and have a chance to freeze anyone that touches them.

(Master)

• Flameheart (D) - summons the living heart of fire for 60 seconds to aid the caster in battle. On death, explodes for massive fire damage. **Model needs to be edited, but otherwise complete.
  • Storm Caller - Darkens the sky with a thunderstorm. Whenever nearby targets take shock damage, they are also struck by a bolt of lightning.
  • Cataclysm - Calls down non-elemental meteors that do massive damage to everyone in the area.

Illusion:

(Novice)

• Silver Tongue - For 10 seconds, increases the caster's chance to pass a persuasion check; can bribe guards.
  • Blindness - The target has a harder time detecting the caster for 30 seconds.

(Apprentice)

• Phantom Pain - temporarily reduces the target's health by 25%.
  • Glamour - hostiles ignore the caster unless they get too close. Does not work on high-level enemies. Can only be cast outside of combat.
  • Demonic Aspect - The target takes on a monstrous appearance. Anyone nearby will either flee from the target (if low leveled) or attack.

(Adept)

• Doppelganger - creates a ghostly decoy of the caster; the caster goes invisible.
  • Dominate Will - the target becomes an ally for 5 minutes. Can only have one mind slave at a time.

(Expert)

• Waking Nightmare (Done, but not tested) - While concentrating, the target is slowed, affected by fear, and takes a small amount of damage.

Restoration:
(Novice)

• Poison Seed (D)- for 10 seconds, the target is 25% weaker to poison and takes 5 poison damage per second.
  • Ray of Light(D) - Beam that damages undead 9 points per second. Heals all others 6 points per second.
  • Share Lifeblood (D)- Drains 7 health per second from the caster, healing the target 10 health per second. No magicka cost.

(Apprentice)

• Scorpion Sting (D)- Dart that does 20 points of poison damage. 2x damage if target is weak to poison; 5x damage if target is affected by Poison Seed. Consumes poison seed.
  • Black Swarm (D)- Target takes 3 points of disease damage per second for 30 seconds. Chance to stagger while affected.
  • Divine Aegis (D)- For 10 seconds, the caster is protected from the next 3 physical hits.
  • Spirit Guide (D)- Summons a spirit guide that heals the caster during combat. Boosts restoration spells by 15%, +50 poison/disease resistance.

(Adept)

• Plague of Locusts (D)- Infects the target with a plague. On death, the target spawns 4 locusts, which attack and infect other targets.
  • Arcane Healing (D)- Heal atronachs, summons, and machines, but not living or undead.
  • Plague Bringer (D) - For 30 seconds, every target struck with your weapon is infected with up to 6 diseases. Disease vectors are consumed from the caster's inventory to power this spell. (Bear claws = bone break fever, Brain rot = hagraven feathers or hagraven claw, Droops = ash hopper jelly, Rattles = chaurus eggs, Rockjoint = wolf or fox pelt, Witbane = sabrecat tooth or sabrecat eye)
  • Consecration - Places a holy rune that lights undead on fire and applies healing-over-time to all others.

(Expert)

• Infestation (D)- Infects the target with a plague. On death, the target spawns 3 spiders, which attack and infect other targets.
  • Divine Guardian (D)- The non-hostile target is protected by a divine guardian for 60 seconds.
  • Blood Sacrifice (D)- Target is fully healed; caster health is damaged by 50%. No magicka cost.
  • Poison Cloak - Targets in melee range take poison damage

(Master)

• Phoenix Song (D)- Staggers everyone around the caster; allies are healed 150 points; the caster is fully healed. Drains all magicka and stamina.
  • Resurrection (D)- Brings the target back to life.
  • Rite of the Old Gods (D)- For 120 seconds, lowers the poison and disease resistance of nearby enemies by 50%. Targets have a chance of being infected with a random disease, even if normally immune.
  • Dread Cocoon (D)- Cast on a corpse to implant it with a fearful creature. In 15 second, the creature will hatch from its cocoon. Those attacked by the creature also have a chance to be infected.
  • Patron (D)- Summons a spirit patron that heals and protects the caster during combat. Boosts restoration spells by 25%, +100 poison/disease resistance.

KNOWN BUGS (Trouble-shooting help needed!)

Critical/Game-Crashing:
None

Major:
None

Moderate:
Bone Overlord - After combat, unable to select dialogue choices. Reloading or fast-traveling fixes it.
Diving Guardian - Won't follow protected target when not in combat.
Resurrection - Target's inventory is reset.

Minor:

IS IT DONE?
No- which is why I need your help as a beta tester! So far I've fleshed out Restoration and most of Conjuration, and I have big plans for the other schools as well. But I'm just one person with a full-time job, so there's no way for me to test this mod enough to thoroughly check for balancing, bugs, and strange interactions.

If you would like to help me test this mod, please download from the download section above. Oh, and leave a reply with your feedback. IT DOESN'T COUNT AS BETA TESTING IF YOU DON'T TELL ME WHAT YOU HATE/LOVE/LAUGHED AT. Please please please tell me if you see something behaving in a way that probably wasn't intended, or if a spell stops working altogether.

WHY DO I NEED THIS? I ALREADY HAVE APOCALYPSE/MIDAS/FORGOTTEN MAGIC.
First, FMR is a fantastic mod, and I completely support using it alongside this mod. I do myself.
Second, I've tried all those mods, and while they are awesome, they didn't have quite what I was looking for. So I made my own. If you feel the same way, my mod may be a good fit for you.

WILL THIS CRASH MY GAME?
It shouldn't. I play with 250+ mods, and I don't get CTDs with this mod. Skyrim Expanded Grimoire is very self-contained. The only files it modifies are it's own, and a few leveled lists. I was also careful when writing my scripts to avoid using RegisterForUpdate() loops. (Those those of you who aren't up to your elbows in code, that means that Skyrim won't keep trying to update a script that no longer exists if you un-install this mod.)

WHAT'S THIS ABOUT LEVELED LISTS?
I added the spell books from this mod to the inventories of the college of winterhold merchants. I also added them to loot lists, so that you can find them in chests/dungeons. Will that cause your game to crash? Absolutely not. But if you want to use another mod that also adds things to merchant inventories/loot lists, you will need to use Wrye Bash to merge your leveled lists. (Google it)

IS THIS COMPATIBLE WITH X MOD?
It should be. If you get a CTD when trying to cast a spell from this mod or the other mod, it could indicate an incompatibility. Please let me know if you encounter a spell-related CTD!
NOTE: I didn't touch anything to do with quests, weapons, armor, body shape, houses, etc etc. If general tullius won't talk to you, it has nothing to do with this mod.

CAN I UNINSTALL THIS MOD MID-GAME?
It should be perfectly safe to do so. Let me know if you encounter issues uninstalling.

X SPELL IN THIS MOD IS JUST LIKE Y SPELL IN ANOTHER MOD! YOU THIEF!
I will admit to shamelessly taking inspiration from some other mods, notably Apolcalypse verison 4 and Skyre. However, I made all these spells from scratch. None of them are copies of spells from other mods. They are entirely my own.

Edited by steelfeathers

• 2 months later...