Recruiting team for PC game like Skyrim

Endermod

I want to try my luck on making an open world, first person RPG. I am perfectly aware of the fact that this will be insanely hard to do and actually complete by myself, so I need a team. I also know that it will still seem almost impossible as a group project. But I still want to try.

Okay, so here is a brief description of the game's main mechanics. It will be set in the present day. But with a twist, a very big twist. What if maybe about 5000 years ago humanity discovered magic? What if we never discovered the many uses of electricity and technology, but instead had thousands of magical advances? It will be in a world like today. No wars, living life is easy. Basically imagine today, but instead of technology we have magic? But this doesn't only limit us to no magical creatures, no dragons, dwarves or catmen. Maybe some mad scientist infused a lizard with huge amounts of magical energy 500 years before, and created a dragon? Then they started multiplying like crazy. Of course the dragons are all tamed and in zoo's now. It's a time of peace and progress. Anybody can learn magic, but some are born with more capabilities than others. You are a normal college student, still quite the novice in magic. But then, then you find something...

I know there are a lot of gaps and I didn't think through everything, but it leaves gives us unlimited possibilities.

I'm looking for someone who I can discuss my ideas with, someone that can program the game(in c++ mostly), someone who can texture it, do the art, someone who can write in game books, etc. Basically make an application, include what you think I might need(your skills, experience, that kinda stuff), and thats it. If don't have a nexus account or have some other reason not to post, you can add me on skype(Endermod) and I'll ask you a few questions.

Me, I want to help and be involved in any way I can. I have some basic texturing and art skills. I know HTML and CSS, some JavaScript, which are mostly useful for websites. As much as I try I can't specialize in any particular thing, so I know a bit of everything. But keep in mind, I'm always open to learning a new skill, so feel free to give me some pointers and such.

Keep in mind:

You will not get any pay now, but might get a hefty sum later if the game succeeds and gains revenue. But most of you here make skyrim mods as a hobby, for the community. Why not make this as a hobby, for the community? I know this will be very hard, if not impossible to make, but I want to try. I hope you do too.

Please help, join the team, and make this the best open world RPG ever. :tongue:

Edited by Endermod

Do you have any idea how much work is required for this? Or are you just wingin' it?

I know that this requires an insane amount of work, but I still want to try. And we would need the help of a 3D modeler, if you have time. :tongue:

EDIT: Your models are great! Although textures could use some improvement.

Edited by Endermod

but I still want to try

Start smaller mate. Rome wasn't built in a single day.

It was built in a long, long time. I also expect this to take a long, long time. But I also expect it to be as good as Rome. :P

The Oblivion spinoff Nehrim is similar to what you want to do. It took a team of experienced programmers over two years to do. So what you want is possible. It will require a lot of work and a lot of dedication. But it is possible. I wish you luck. :thumbsup:

You should add atleast one marketing person to that list. Successful capitalism is reliant on successful marketing; people won't buy something they've never heard of, and the ability to sell things is a talent, one that everybody thinks they have but only a few truly possess. While I'm on that subject, what's your cash-flow like? a project like this won't fund itself. Even if you remove labour from the picture, you're still looking at a few hundred thousand US.

You should add atleast one marketing person to that list. Successful capitalism is reliant on successful marketing; people won't buy something they've never heard of, and the ability to sell things is a talent, one that everybody thinks they have but only a few truly possess. While I'm on that subject, what's your cash-flow like? a project like this won't fund itself. Even if you remove labour from the picture, you're still looking at a few hundred thousand US.

I'm thinking either kickstarter(unlikely), or donations. The most likely route is trying to use not that much money. :P I mean if we make our own game engine, we already don't need that much. What else to pay for? Does steam charge? I know I'm kind of an idiot on this subject. I would appreciate a few pointers, if you have time.

If you're going to start a business, you must get some degree of knowledge on how to run one. It may seem easy on the outside, but running any kind of franchise or business is stressful, frustrating and very very costly. I'm not trying to discourage you, but you won't succeed without some knowledge of what you're doing.

I work in the car industry; there are a lot of parallels between making cars and making games. A good car appeals to an enthusiast's heart the way a good game does, and the best cars are the ones with a soul. Like gamers, nearly every enthusiast has their own idea of what that all means, and like gamers many strike out on their own in an effort to bring that idea into the world.

Sadly most of them fail, often very early in the project. Most of the time they have a wonderful idea, but no idea of how to run a business. And no matter how good your idea is, you'll need to support it financially-either yourself or by paying someone else, which has other problems. Don't let that happen to you.

Edited by Vindekarr