Navmesh question

BarbyFN

According this tutorial section, I’ve used the "Find Cover Edges", and the "Finalize Current Cell's Navmeshes" buttons to connect the doors to the navmesh and all was ok, there are green lines connected to adjacent areas and a green triangle under my door. But then, by inspecting the mod in FO3Edit I’ve noticed all adjacent cells ‘touched’, surely because they were re-reconnected to my cell when it was finalized.

Now here comes what I would be doing wrong:

To ‘clean’ the mod In FO3Edit I removed all references of the adjacent exterior cells. Then I reopen it in GECK to work again but when I save, it pop ups 3 warnings for the navmesh of my 3 adjacent areas (the ones that I have deleted). So I finalize again the navmesh and the game stop warning me again. The problem is that when I re open it in FO3Edit, it shows again the 3 cells adjacent to my exterior cell modified. This is the warning:

PATHFINDING: NavMeshInfo 00072e47 has a portal to NAVmESHiNFO 0101501C, but there is no triangle portal between the two, updating the NavMeshInfo

Context: DEFAULT

“Yes to all” will disable all Warnings for this context.

I clean all adjacent cells because the mod weighs less; the saves are fasters, and the finished is more polished, so the questions are:

1) Is there a way to finalize an exterior cell navmesh without touching the adjacent ones?

2) If not: it is ok to leave all adjacent cells ‘dirty touched’ in my mod?

3) The third option is to not edit the exterior navmesh, after all, it seems useless because the leveled enemies don't follow me through doors, so it doesn't matter if they get stuck out there, they will do anyway.

I would not call the touched Cells a dirty edit because technically you are modifying them when you Navmesh the adjacent Cell. This is why you have the Green line between the Cells. When you Finalize it matches up the edges of both Cells so navigation can occur across the Cells and thus both Cells are edited even if to a tiny amount. You can of course do the "Remove Identical to Master records" in FO3Edit to clean up any parts of those adjacent Cells that are not modified, but the edges are part of the Navmesh Finalizing and cannot be avoided...at least to my knowledge.

So...

1. No

2. Yes

3. If you don't need to edit and finalize the Navmesh on the exterior Cell then don't do it. Keep in mind though that Companions could get stuck on the outside if the Navmesh is not correctly done.

mmm I forgot the followers, I play alone so is the same to me; besides the dog who finds items only the ghoul is useful to end the main quest. But I could add custom enemies to the cell if I manage to make them use doors; I’ll think about that, anyway the navmesh could be finalized in any moment. Thank you for all confirmations.