Post count suggestion

HeLLL

Should users post count be showen?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should users post count be showen?

• Yes
    • No

Just a thought here; seems as though alot of "heated" discussion is going on about post counts and the like. Well there was I sight that I used to visit alot called Atomic MPC. It is the website of my fav magazine Atomic. In there forums they REFUSE to show the post count of members.

Q:  What the hell is an Apprentice, or, How do I get to be Immortal?

A:  I'm glad you asked. We have a ranking system on the site which is based around how many posts you have made to the forums. Make a lot of contributions to the community, and watch your 'rank' advance. Now, apart from the accolades of your friends, there is no difference between being a Serf (rank 1) or an Immortal (the highest rank), all it points out is the amount of time you've spent posting to the Atomic forums. Keep in mind that ranks are not a reason to spam mindlessly. Spamming to increase your rank is a bad thing and your fellow Atomicans will slap you down for it.

Here's the list of the ranks, and the total posts you need to achieve them*:

(0-25) Serf

(26-50) Initiate

(51-75) Learner

(76-100) Apprentice

(101-125) Journeyman

(126-150) Charge

(151-200) Disciple

(201-300) Master

(301-399) Primarch

(400-999) Overlord

(1000-1999) Champion

(2000-4999) Guru

(5000-9999) Titan

(10000+) Immortal

We also have the prestigious title of Hero, awarded by the Gods to those who have served the Forum community above and beyond the call of duty. The definition of a true Hero is a broad one. Heros can be recognised for their awesome contributions to the tech help sections, or for their constant funniness and sense of humour, or for their relentless insightfull commentary into a diverse range of subjects, and also a lot of other reasons. Generally, Heros have a combination of one or all of these attributes.

And finally, we have the rank of Superhero - a Hero of Heroes, a distinctly superb and outstanding champion. Once again, the rank of Superhero is awarded by Gods. However, unlike Heroes, Superheroes are moderators and can keep the house clean. Superheroes are empowered to control the forum and absolute trust is placed in their hands. Like Heroes, they carry their title only because they are reliably magnificent. All are beautiful and smart.

They don't actualy show the users post count. Maybe we could implement something similar here?

<Edit. I thought I would post the rest of the answer to the said question>

lol i hate 2 admit it but i like the postcount thing. helps 2 track how much u've been doing on the forums

but i agree if people are gunna start getting peeved over the new member's postcounts then maybe we should change the system? *shrugs*

as long as theres still a way 2 check ur postcount in ur controls or something :P

I like it.... a lot. I've never really been much of a fan of post count. For some reason it seems (not just here) the only people who really care about it are the ones whose posts are the least useful. So I'd say get rid of it... I've never heard a good argument for having it, and it causes too much trouble to be worth it.

lol i hate 2 admit it but i like the postcount thing. helps 2 track how much u've been doing on the forums

but i agree if people are gunna start getting peeved over the new member's postcounts then maybe we should change the system? *shrugs*

as long as theres still a way 2 check ur postcount in ur controls or something :P

But why do you need to see how many posts you have done? Having a system like Atomics will indicate how many posts you have made without showing the exact number. People tend to spam more or post less quality replys when they know how many posts they have. <well im going offline in ten minutes Ill post 7 more replys so that my post count is 250> It happens.

Actually, I don't think anything is needed to show how much you've been doing on a forum. Once you get to be a fairly regular poster, I at least can recognize you as that, post count or not.

Actually, I don't think anything is needed to show how much you've been doing on a forum. Once you get to be a fairly regular poster, I at least can recognize you as that, post count or not.

yeah good point. all good points. yet for some reason i still like the post count thing. but just for the sake of that being plain illogical im still voting No :P

I don't care about postcount one way or the other, really.

On the MWC forums there was a reputation feature - members were able to award good or bad karma to others. It had nothing to do with postcount, but was more an indication of what other members thought of you and reflected your contribution to the forum.

I don't care about postcount one way or the other, really.

On the MWC forums there was a reputation feature - members were able to award good or bad karma to others. It had nothing to do with postcount, but was more an indication of what other members thought of you and reflected your contribution to the forum.

That also sounds good!

Archived