What computer parts do I need to run a lot of Mods?

themadreaper

@deRusett

I assume by geography you mean where I live right? Well I live in Chicago, IL and when it comes to price range; I'd like to stay under or at a grand but I'm willing to go a few hundred over for quality and longevity.

This one you linked to actually seems like it's exactly what I want. Is there any way I can custom the OS? I'd really rather have windows 7 than 8. But by all means, if you do find anything better/cheaper let me know.

I would recommend a graphics card with 4gb or more of RAM. I have 3gb with mine, and even after optimising all the textures it still gets up to 2.5gb video card RAM usage on average. Once it hits the limit the game crashes. Every other game I can think of its not even an issue, they use hardly any video RAM compared to Skyrim (:

@deRusett

I assume by geography you mean where I live right? Well I live in Chicago, IL and when it comes to price range; I'd like to stay under or at a grand but I'm willing to go a few hundred over for quality and longevity.

This one you linked to actually seems like it's exactly what I want. Is there any way I can custom the OS? I'd really rather have windows 7 than 8. But by all means, if you do find anything better/cheaper let me know.

If you want Windows 7, I suggest going to Dell and getting an Alienware the X51 you can put in the specs to get your pricepoint and away you go.

If I get a video card with 4gb of RAM, what kind of CPU should I get? You guys have been recommending Intel CPUs between i5 and i7 but I don't know what kind of difference the higher number CPUs make. What do CPUs do for modded skyrim and what should I look for when shopping around for/comparing CPUs?

Also, I've just now noticed the numbers next to RAM that relates to speed? Does the speed of the 8gb RAM I get matter for mods or can I just get any kind of 8gb RAM?

For Intel CPU, a higher number next to the "i" normally means better performance at higher costs. Still, you need to watch out which "generation" it is. Newest is generation 4 built in Haswell-microarchitecture. Their model numbers start with a 4.

RAM speed shouldn't make much of a difference, any brick built in DDR3 microarchitecture should do. And the others wouldn't even fit into contemporary mainboards.

What computer parts do I need to run a lot of Mods?

All of them. Every part in a computer is needed...lmao...sorry had to...

The CPU is as important as the motherboard is and as important as the RAM and the choice of GPU. An UN- balanced System will stumble over its own two feet. IF the CPU cant keep up with the GPU, and the BUS feeding the GPU is limited, does not matter how Fast the GPU is .

Intel i7 4 core (8 threads) Speed is important here. (my i7-2600k has been doing 4.2 for 2 years).

Better to Best Motherboard. Quad channel memory comes to mind. (if you get 64 GB RAM you can use ENBOOST to have crap tons of Ram available).

Name brand fast RAM...

A dedicated Sound card....way better then onboard...frees up the CPU. (avoid Soundblaster) ASUS FTW..

Overkill on the Power supply....Take recommended and add in a bunch of overhead.....ALL power supply's lose power as they age. Good Name brand....(Corsair)

GPU ....thought having 3 GB was enough (2 years ago) Now i am constantly loaded to 2.8 GB. ...lol (6 GB Titans' ?)

For the GPU anything with a 384 or 512 bit BUS will work. Save, instead of settling for a 256 bit bus with higher amount of VRAM.

EDIT: all tho not even necessary (yes i have rigs running without) A case with good Airflow helps>>>Case

Edited by camaro_69_327

Here you go if you have a budget of $2K

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($578.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($196.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($503.49 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1994.39
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-27 19:07 EDT-0400)

Want kind of graphics card should I get? I've been getting conflicting info about this. Some people say get one with 4gb and others say get something with 384 bus and lower VRAM.

What is the cheapest graphics card I can get that will run an ENB, texture mods, and a ton of other mods at a good frame rate and be viable for the next 5 years?

Edited by themadreaper