198 members have voted

1. 1. choose your king

• Harrowmount
    • Bhelen

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orzammar did not do well under Harrowmont because Bhaelen's thug followers spent all of their energy disrupting everything he tried to do. The only thing he was able to accomplish was greater isolationism. Sort of like the effort Republicans go through to prevent Democratic presidents from ever achieving anything positive.

Of course Bhaelen would have looked good. His jerkwad buddies would have been happy to have him in power, while those in the opposition who really just wanted what was best for Orz would have gone along with them for the benefit of the dwarven people.

Interestingly enough, the guy I would have backed was the noble in the tavern who felt that the class system was bulldinkies but he wasn't a choice.

• 6 months later...
Can't support Bhelen, even though I favour some of his positions more than Harrowmont's on the same topics. Much as I never let Loghain live, I don't care that he has some good reasons for doing some of the things he does, his presence increases the net amount of evil and there's already too much.

Oh my... Is wanting what is best for all the people evil? I have played both sides of this double edged sword and explored all the dialogues and endings. I've even sided with one only to choose the other in the end. But when it comes right down to it, I have to go with house Aeducan. Bhelen is the lesser of two evils. Now I'm not saying that Harrowmont is an evil person, he is not but he is and represents a political evil which ultimately is far worse than any evil Bhelen commits and that evil is that of indecisiveness and pandering to the special interest groups.

Harrowmont is a politician, Bhelen is (albeit weakly) a leader type. Harrowmont want's to maintain the status quo, while Bhelen wants a new and better direction for his people. Harrowmont would leave the castless wallowing in the squalor of Dust Town while Bhelen wants to give them some status and a chance for a better life. Harrowmont whines about the carta all dying, while Bhelen praises the warden for wiping them out like Genlocks; truly, they needed to die or they would only reorganize with a new leader to once again prey on the weak and downtrodden. Harrowmont's crier shouts out "News of the hour! Lord Bhelen is a bad, bad man!" while Bhelen's guy never has to get that weak. That's just sad :confused:

Ok, now we get to the end...

Harrowmont leaves the dwarves weak with constant infighting that eventually leads to another crippling leadership issue upon his death. Bhelen eliminates the self-serving assembly and becomes absolute monarch. The assembly isn't elected and so the dwarves do not live under a democracy and as Benjamin Martin so eloquently stated it, (paraphrased) 1000 men can steal a man's rights as easily as one.

Ultimately, Harrowmont is a '58 Chevy in an electric car universe, Bhelen is the Tessla Roadster. (and to those of you wondering why I didn't call him a '57 Chevy; a '57 would have had more respect for the casteless.)

Both Bhelen and Loghain justify the evils they do in the name of the "Greater Good". Oh, and if that requires a little (ok, a lot of) murder? Well, that's OK 'cuz it's "for the best" in the end, right? Funny how in both cases that just happens to require that they get to sit on the respective thrones and decide "what's best", for everyone else.

HItler really did get Germany working again during the depression. I'm sure millions were very pleased at the economic and industrial reforms the Nazi Party introduced. Certainly improved the average German's lot at a time (1934-1939) when the US and most of the rest of Europe were stuck deep in the Great Depression. (Which, for Germany, had already been going on for almost a decade when Hitler was elected Chancellor!)

The end does not justify the means, and I can't (as a matter of personal preference) use that line of reasoning in my role-playing. I can, however, use the reasoning "Because I want to add that particular trophy to my profile! :laugh: )

• 3 weeks later...
My first time through was as a Noble Dwarf female 2h warrior. No doubt in my mind the only smart move was to support my brother thus preserving the damily dynasty. As the DAO ending turns out it is not only good for the Dwaves but here I am Paragon, Commander of the Wardens and a legal claim for my House to take over the throne when Bhelen dies.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never tried going with Bhelen before. I always tend to go "light side". I am using a new rogue female instead of my usual Tank/Paladin type male now that has a "mess with the best, die like the rest, do whatever is necessary to win" attitude....so I might try it this time. I had no idea that Bhelen might be better for the dwarf people because he was such and arrogant chump and figured that would lead to a bad leadership based off his selfishness.

I have only let Loghain live once and so I could marry Anora and be the Prince Consort. Most of the time I whoop his butt all over the place for betraying the king and trying to kill me all those times.