Tutorials for cleaning save files? Buggy dragon soul absorbing. Kinda 'Meh' graphics even with a 2gb GTX 760

CherryBelle

Hiya. I heard from someone else (on here I think) that it's best to make a new save instead of saving over an old save, which works fine for me. But, I'm worried my new main save still might have issues, because I learned this after playing for a while and reaching level 12, and resaving very often. I was wondering if there are some tutorials for cleaning a save file. I heard you can use tess edit for this, but I'm having trouble finding any help. I found one for cleaning your master files (which I did) but nothing for cleaning a save file. I'm not even sure how/if tessedit can do that. When I load tessedit, it seems like it only loads the plugins, not any saves anyway.

Anyone have any advice or knowledge of a tutorial or tool for cleaning up a save file?

I only discovered my game was buggy when I killed a few dragons and nothing happened. I'm new to Skyrim, so at first I thought maybe not all dragons have souls, but one time I was leaving Whiterun, and a dragon I had killed (and not absorbed the soul) somewhere out in Whiterun's hold randomly had its skeleton fall right in front of me. Was like.. uhh.... yeah. I took the time to create a new character, and went through the storyline up to where you kill Mirmulnir, and I didn't absorb his soul. Everything kinda.. paused... and the guards and other npcs were stuck in the crouched position with their hands covering their heads.

After looking around online, I searched my files and found:

dragonactorscript.pex in:

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch\scripts
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
Unofficial Skyrim Patch\scripts

and mqkilldragonscript.pex in

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch\scripts

I renamed all of them with the extension .pexbak, and suddenly my main save was able to absorb souls again (spawned a dragon to test it with the reference id of eafb4)

As a note, I use BOSS every time I install a mod, or deactivate a mod, or reactivate a mod, etc. I use Mod Organizer and use BOSS to manage my load order and detect issues.

Another little question, is it okay to use player.placeatme for dragons? I know not to use it for NPCs (and to use prid and then moveto player), because it will spawn a duplicate of them, but for generic dragons, it should be okay.. right?

Another minor issue I'm having is that things look... raggy... in the distance. I noticed this first with those clumps of grass, but now I'm noticing it with other foliage too. Trees look kinda... blocky from a distance, although up close, they look great, same with the grass/foliage.

I'm not using the lush trees and grass mod, although I was at one point, but I disabled it. I am using the enb patch for Skyrim (just the patch right now, no custom presents).

Here's a screen cap of what I mean:

http://www.myimg.us/images/05.27.14/43172.jpg

- Dead dragons falling from the sky has been a bug since the game came out, iirc. It's not necessarily a problem caused by one of your mods. When it first happened to me, it didn't really faze me because I'm used to seeing silly stuff happen in Bethesda games. Dragon Stalking Fix is designed to stop this.

- When you describe Mirmulnir dying and the guards staying crouched, it sounds like his death didn't register, and therefore you didn't get a soul and the quest didn't update. You can try the console command setstage, but I don't know if that'll fix your problem with absorbing souls.

- If you have SKSE, one quick thing you can do is use the console command clearinvalidregistrations. Some mods have scripts that call for updates from time to time, and if you remove said mods, then the update registration is left hanging. I don't know if your dragon soul problem is related to this though. You can also try a utility like Save Game Script Cleaner, but I have no experience with this.

- I'm pretty sure placeatme is ok for generic unnamed dragons. You probably shouldn't be using it to spawn Alduin or Paarthunax though.

- Skyrim Flora Overhaul is a popular mod for making trees and grass look nicer. Aside from that, there are a few other mods that make the faraway trees look nicer. Run a search for "tree LOD". I personally use Detailed Terrain and Tree LOD.

Thanks so much! I'm going to use that console command asap. I tried SFO and it was too.. bright for me, but I might try it again. I was able to fix the dragon soul bug by renaming the extension on dragonactorscript.pex and mqkilldragonscript.pex (knock on wood). It was just kinda strange. I'm glad to find out that the random dragon skeletons dropping in front of me at Whiterun are a bug, I was seriously wondering how badly I'd screwed something up.

Thanks again!