How big is Cyrodiil?

stars2heaven

In game the map looks huge, so do the distant land scapes. There are entire mountain ranges and they look pretty darn big from far away. However, it doesnt seem like it takes too long to get from one place to another. Even from one side of Cyrodiil to the other. So does anyone have any estimates on how big the original map space really is?

What is the area that it encompasses? How many miles between Cheydinhal and Anvil? Between Bruma and Leyawiin?

In game the map looks huge, so do the distant land scapes. There are entire mountain ranges and they look pretty darn big from far away. However, it doesnt seem like it takes too long to get from one place to another. Even from one side of Cyrodiil to the other. So does anyone have any estimates on how big the original map space really is?

What is the area that it encompasses? How many miles between Cheydinhal and Anvil? Between Bruma and Leyawiin?

I don't think there is a good measure for how distant places are in the world, however there is one way to consider the distance. You can time how long it takes for you to get from one point to another. If you do so on a horse, keep note that a walk is about 2-3 MPH, trot is about 8-10 MPH, a canter or lope is 10-15 MPH and a gallop depending on the horse can range from 15 to 50 MPH. So the first thing is to figure out how fast your horse moves, if it's a gallop or whatever... I guess you could walk with the horse to get a more exact figure.

Also, one in-game minute is much shorter than a real minute, so that would have to go into calculations. I'm not sure what the ratio for time is in-game. I don't know how the difference between in-game time and real time will affect the distance traveled, though I suspect it is a great deal.

Just something interesting to think about.

The world landscape is certainly scaled down and I believe that Cyrodiil is somewhere around the size of a small state like Conneticut or Rhode Island. In real-life scale, the major cities would be like villages in a smaller province. Just set your time settings to real time or use a real clock and see how long it takes you to ride (if you can average out your horse's speed) from one end to another. Its probably smaller then that even.

You can use the physical formula

v [speed]=s [way]/t [time]

Change it into

s=v*t

For speed you use 4 kmh (cuz its 2,5 mph cuz you run between 2 and 3 mph), then you use the ingame time you needed to run from leyawin to bruma for example and multiply it by 60 (cuz you need seconds, not the minutes!). Put in for t...then you would have the way!

For example:

s=4kmh*60seconds

s=240 metres

Then you multiply the 240 metres by 1,09 to get yards (or whatever you use in your country)

I remember reading somewhere that Cyrodill is about 41 square km but i'm not sure about that.

'Roughly 16 square miles'. The wikipedia got it from here. I can recall them saying it at some trailer.

From the documentation of TESAnnwyn:

The Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout3 Game engines share the same landscape size and detail restrictions as each other. The smallest height unit (TES Height Unit = THU) equates to 8 Game Units (GU) which is about 11.4cm. Each height point on the landscape has a base size of 128x128 game units (1.8m x 1.8m). No finer detail is possible with the existing standard. One has to resort to texturing and meshes and vertex colouring to give the landscape an even finer feel.

a. Height points per cell.

Morrowind uses 64x64 (4096) points per cell.

Oblivion uses 32x32 (1024) points per cell. Each Morrowind cell covers 4x the area of an Oblivion cell.

So, each cell consists of data points at about 1.8m, or 2 yards, apart. I'll calculate with yards here, since that's what Bethesda most likely used.

Each Oblivion cell is thus 64 x 64 yards in size.

The whole Tamriel worldspace stretches from roughly -53 (Beldaburo) in the west to 47 (Abandoned Mine) in the east, and from 42 (Serpent's Trail) in the north to -42 (Tidewater Cave) in the south. Since the whole form is about that of a triangle, this means Cyrodiil stretches over about 4200 cells. That means a gameworld size of 5.6 square miles or 14.4 km².

Now, the game time runs at thirty times the real time, unless you change it with a mod or the console, so all distances are "time compressed" by the same factor. This would make Cyrodiil about 5000 square miles or 13000 km². Or about half of the size of Sicily. Or, for the US residents in here, a bit smaller than Connecticut.