Oblivion won't start a new game!!!! HELP!!

rjc149

Hello everyone,

I am a noob, straight up. A noob to games and a noob to computer troubleshooting. I'm going to start this by saying that I have read dozens and dozens of pages on various forums about this problem. I have done research on this until my eyes got achy and watery. A few people seem have this problem, but in literally HOURS of research, I have found only vague, indirect advice. Perhaps the nature of this problem can only warrant vague advice.

I just finished installing Oblivion on Vista, and started to get really, really excited. I've been wanting to play this game ever since it came out, four years ago.

When I click 'new game' it goes to a box saying "Start a new game?"

I click "yes"

and....

NOTHING HAPPENS! It just goes back to the menu as if I clicked "no." All the other menu options work except this one!!

In my research I came across some vague solutions, like 'turn off Aero' or 'run in XP compatibilty mode,' all of it mystifies me!

I tried running OLDblivion, thinking perhaps my graphics card wasn't up to snuff (intel chipset 4) but the same thing happens. It won't let me start a new game. I uninstalled and re-installed. Same problem. After 20 minutes of running patch 1.2, I tried again. It won't let me start a new game. Downloaded a saved game, from the end of the sewers, and the game crashes when I try to load it.

Does anyone out there know of this problem? Can anyone help please??? Here are my system specs for reference:

Toshiba Satellite L305

Pentium Dual core CPU T4200 @ 2.00 ghz

3 gb ram

Vista 32 bit

Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset family

Thank you for reading, but no words of mine would be able to express the gratitude and appreciation if someone helped me resolve this problem.

Two silly questions...

1 - Which version of Oblivion do you have? If its the game of the year (GotY) edition, don't bother running the patch. As long as you install Shivering Isles from that version its bang up to date.

2 - Where did you install Oblivion to? Vista doesn't like games. In all honesty, Vista doesn't like anything. Which is why Windows 7 is already out. Because vista was naffed before they released it, and its still naffed now. I suppose the question should have been "Why are you using Windows Vista when its *banned word*? Regardless, if you've installed it to Program Files, or any other non-root directory, you're gonna have problems. Especially if you use Mods. Uninstall it (again. Sorry. :|) and reinstall it directly to your root folder of the HD. Basically, instead of C:Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Oblivion, install it to C:Oblivion.

And one free bonus point. Don't use a no disk crack. Pet peev of mine. Seriously. If you have to use a no-disk version, mount it to a virtual drive. Most no disk cracks are virus laden time bombs that simply will not work.

***Edit - Missed one; Disable the UAC on Oblivion.exe (its something like right click->properties->admin->give me full control; not sure. Don't use it. Bben47 has some handy stuff in the articles section for things like that) or everytime Oblivion tries to write something to your HD, its gonna get blocked.

Jenrai

Your major problem is the Intel video chipset.

You might be able to get Oblivion to run by installing the latest video drivers and then trying OLDBlivion again.

But it won't be pretty.

I thought about that... but it 'should' still start if the game actually loads up as far as the menus. It'll likely look like hell, run as slow as molasses, and crash as regular as clockwork (that chipset won't need much inspiration to overheat) but if you can get off the first loading screen you should be able to start the game. For something to have just disabled the "start new game" button my first guess would be a corrupted install, second would be bummed out pirate copy or a no disk crack, and third (and I'm reaching here... really, really far) would be a botched attempt to virtually mount the game, though again, that should just stop it running cold, not let you get as far as the menu unless its somehow 'descripted' the start button.

Jenrai

• 6 months later...
Ok, so I am running a dell xps 410 Windows 7.1.86G processor, 295G Hard Drive, 2G RAM, Nvidia 9800GTX Graphics Card and im getting the same issue. I go to click "New", it asks me if i want to start a new game, i click "Yes" and it takes me back to the main menu as if i pushed no.......very frustrating.......i have uninstalled and re-installed like 3 times now and its still doing the same thing. ne suggestions?

Ok, so I am running a dell xps 410 Windows 7.1.86G processor, 295G Hard Drive, 2G RAM, Nvidia 9800GTX Graphics Card and im getting the same issue. I go to click "New", it asks me if i want to start a new game, i click "Yes" and it takes me back to the main menu as if i pushed no.......very frustrating.......i have uninstalled and re-installed like 3 times now and its still doing the same thing. ne suggestions?

Same thing happens to me... i have added mods to it would that have somthing to do with it

• 4 months later...

If it ever worked - prior to installing mods or before making a change - then you have a completely different problem and should start your own topic.

This particular topic is relating to an obsolete video chipset and is a year old - I'm closing it