Really strange random white dome-meshes

cin99

I've ran into a really strange, reocurring problem with Skyrim. Random white domes started appearing, generally above mountains, but also on ground level. They are, I think, bugged cloud, fog or snow meshes, because after I've cleared them from a mountain, it looked pale. The thing is, they didn't appear right after I installed graphic mods, but months and a few dozen (mostly quest and scripted immersion) mods later. Some screenshots:

http://tinypic.com/r/2n1hm4g/8

http://tinypic.com/r/1kx9e/8

They can be passed through, are paperthin and invisible from the other side. All of them have an id of 000* or 001*, Skyrim or Update. Even more strange is the fact that I could start the game with wrong load order (Wet&Cold - Ashes before Wet&Cold AND all DLCs before Update, even though the requirements suggest the game would immediately crash if I tried.

This is a completely new savegame, level 1 char, camping in the woods option in the new life mod.
I have NVidia GeForceGT 630, 4GB RAM and a 3.3 GHz Intel processor.

Do you have any idea why might this happen? I'd be most grateful if you could provide an answer.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the necro-post, maybe it will help someone else someday: I just fixed this issue in my game. In my case, the problem was caused when I tried to update to the new NMM version .60.something, where it uses symlinks to dynamically change your mod configuration without having to copy files all over the place. NMM crashed while it was updating my mod configuration, and it left some broken symlinks in place of actual files in my data directory. In this case the cloud meshes and cloud textures said "SYMLINK" in file explorer under the "type" column when using detail view instead of ".dds" or whatever. Deleting those two symlink files make skyrim load the original mesh and texture for clouds instead of the modded ones. Next you just reinstall whatever mod changed your clouds, if you want. Good luck!