General concept for a magic gameplay overhaul.

johanatnexus

Today I started to think about magic, since I am about to write a novel that involves magic and then suddenly I had an idea for Skyrim.

This could involve re-naming the schools of magic and remove spells.

Destruction; Rather than flames bursting from your fingertips, fire magic now will require a source, that means a fire or a flame. That includes; torches, campfires, kitchen fires ans so on.

The magic is now done by either;

take a torch and place it front you; take a deep breath, and blow. The effect is scaled by the casters mana/skill ratio. The higher the skill, the more damage caused.

The higher the mana, the longer the range.

Or;

cause the kitchen fire to reach for a target standing either left, right, front of, or behind the fire. With enough skill; cause the fire to erupt and consuming an entire room.

Ice is done in a similar way were the requirements are ice. Raise a Ice wall that seperates you from attackers, seal a corridor in a cave or trap those bandits in an ice cage.

Restoration; basically the same, but something should be done about sun spells, not sure what right now.

Illusion; is based on the concept of manipulating your opponent. Make him think you are more powerful than him and he´ll surrender/flee. Create a mirage of a giant frost troll that´s just waiting to tear him apart.

Illusion is a weaker form of conjuration that only projects the image of a conjuration but doesn´t conjure anything.

Conjuration; will require a lot more work for a mage to raise a corpse, possibly baking in Corpse Preparation - True Necromancy by Mojo. Either included with permission or made a required mod. No raise dead without the hard work. This will make Undead rare but much more powerful, another mod to possibly incude is Truly Undead.

Conjure deadric summons will require an altar and a proper ritual. With the possibility of the summon to turn against the conjurer.

Animals can not be conjured, but they might be able to raise.

Alteration; this should be difficult school to master since it is alterating the real world, it is not illusions or winds or fire.

More ideas are welcome. But I´d like to point out that spells such as Firebolt/Flames and their Novice/ adept structure is what I am trying to avoid here. I´d like the magic to be the use of natures elements (Fire, Ice, Earth and Wind) and the I don´t like the vanilla learning process.