Closing Oblivion Gates

loveme4whoiam

How the hell (no pun intended, ho ho) do you close Oblivion Gates? And before you answer, yes, I know, you remove the sigil stone from wherever its hiding. And that's where the problem is - I can't find the damn things! I must have been into 4 separate Gates, slew a fair share of nasties (although for some reason clannfear runts beat me sideways, despite the fact that I can take on two Dremora Churls and still have a third health left. Well, maybe a quarter), and have yet to find a single sigil stone, or even manage to find the tower that contains it.

The one I've just been in (and still am, I'm not giving up on this one) has five towers named after natural disasters; Eruption, Tsunami, Earthquake..., and a central tower called the Portal of Natural Disasters, naturally (ho ho), which goes nowhere, and only provides a link to the other towers that surround it like spokes on a wheel. Within each tower there is a switch which apparently opens a gate - Tornado Gate, that sort of thing. So, I tried opening them all, and nothing happened. I then ran around the bottom of the central tower and discovered these Gates, yet none of them are open, and give them the message "Tornado Gate is open elsewhere" occassionally when I try them.

So: Anyone know how to solve this one? If it helps, the Gate is open about 10 yards away from the stables at Chorrol.

Also, are there any tips anyone can give about how to solve these beggars in general?

Sigil Stones are located at the top of a tower inside the Oblivion gate. You can tell which tower by the column of fire in the middle. It's typically the tower in the middle of the map. Sometimes, there are various obstacles to overcome - including, but not limited to, circumventing landscape hazards and opening gates.

Overcoming the landscape hazards is generally just a matter of making your way through various caves to the central tower.

Opening gates is accomplished by traveling to the top of the thinner, shorter towers that are usually adjacent to the gate (and sometimes attached to the main towers by flying-buttress-like bridges). The insides generally consist of an "elevator" (called the "corpse smasher" or something equally as appealing) and a spiral ramp leading up to a landing. The landings contain various minor rewards ("The Punished", blood or mana fountains) and levers. Pulling the correct lever will open a gate. The other levers generally just open cages (usually dropping their contents from the top of said tower, to the bottom).

The one I've just been in (and still am, I'm not giving up on this one) has five towers named after natural disasters; Eruption, Tsunami, Earthquake..., and a central tower called the Portal of Natural Disasters, naturally (ho ho), which goes nowhere, and only provides a link to the other towers that surround it like spokes on a wheel. Within each tower there is a switch which apparently opens a gate - Tornado Gate, that sort of thing. So, I tried opening them all, and nothing happened. I then ran around the bottom of the central tower and discovered these Gates, yet none of them are open, and give them the message "Tornado Gate is open elsewhere" occassionally when I try them.

So: Anyone know how to solve this one? If it helps, the Gate is open about 10 yards away from the stables at Chorrol.

Also, are there any tips anyone can give about how to solve these beggars in general?

Gah... that one took me three tries with two different characters. The easiest way to do it is... to take a fall.

The four-portal level (that leads out to four of the satellite "disasters") is not really connected to the sigil stone hallway complex, but it IS in the same building.

Jump down from that level to the one directly beneath it and head into the Rending Halls. From there, you know what to do. :) One caution - without a great acrobatics still, you will take a bit of damage doing this (1/3 to 1/2 health if low level), so have healing handy.

I still have no idea what the disaster "gates" do, beside providing mini-towers that have interesting treasure in them.

Archived