Vanity Slots

JangSunHee

Hello!

I was wondering if vanity slots were possible. This idea comes from Terraria, where you would have normal equip slots for head, body and legs, as well as a corresponding social/vanity slot for each part.

The function here is that whatever you wear in the normal slot gives stats as normal, but if you put something in the vanity slot, it overwrites the appearance of the normal slotted armour without giving its stats or counting as being "worn" (for example, so you can't level up both heavy and light armour at the same time by wearing one in the normal slot, and the other in the vanity slot).

This is so one can wear all of those pretty 0 armour modded clothing into battle, or their favourite set of armour, but still be protected by the more powerful armour you've somehow hidden under it.

The closest existing thing I've found to this is this mod ( http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52412/? ) , but that mod requires you to combine the two items, and lose one. Not to mention the combinations are limited.

I should probably mention that I have no knowledge of scripting mods, so I have no idea if this is even a viable idea.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by JangSunHee

Its... I won't say impossible, but incredibly difficult for the Skyrim engine.

Honestly, your best bet would be to learn how to use the Creation Kit to either: tweak the stats of the items that are visually appealing to you, or change the artwork of the items that you like the stats for.

Sorry if that's a bit depressing, but AFAIK the Skyrim engine just doesn't have anything in place to handle the kind of slots you are looking for. There are only so many slots to assign for items within the CK, and only one item can occupy one slot, ever, and that item will always show the same artwork until it is manually changed.

Edit: See my old mod Leveled Newbie Gear for one approach I made to this subject a long time ago. Basically, I spent hours duplicating the Steel armor and weapon objects over and over again, copying upgraded stats to them, then copy/pasting new crafting recipes for them. In the end, after all those hours of clicking the same few boxes over and over again, all I got was Steel gear with better stats... just didn't seem worth it to finish for all the effort involved.

Edited by Dudeman325

In theory the equipping of items to visually replace but not actually remove already equipped items is possible. It has happened before when mixing and matching different armors. I have one item that is a forearm piece only and if I equip a standard gauntlet that normally takes up the hand and forearm slot, the forearm only piece will disappear but still be equipped.

I have not delved into how to make it happen like this. I suspect it has something to do with the nif file having one assigned body slot and the armor addon and armor forms using more than one body slot. Along with the priority settings of the armor addon form. The armor that has the higher priority most likely gets visibly seen while the items that are not actually replaced by the nif file's slot remain equipped.

Similar can happen when "cross dressing" items intended for one gender on the opposite gender. Many authors do not assign any mesh to the opposite gender and so if that item does not use a standard body slot it will equip and not replace anything (i.e. make an invisible body). Try playing a male and equip a bunch of accessories from Brokefoot's UNP mods. You could get a nice boost to armor rating and have none of it visible :P

As far as any vanity items not contributing to light armor or heavy armor skill increases, these vanity items would all have to be considered cloth.

One thing I am considering adding to the perk mod I am currently working on is an option to make all armor of a given type provide the same armor bonus. So all light armor gauntlets would provide the same bonus regardless of material, all heavy armor gauntlets slightly more, all heavy armor cuirasses more than that, etc. The base value would be the same as the best armor available to you in common loot at your level. It's not the same as a vanity slot because clothes and armor types would not be interchangeable, but it is a similar concept.

It's possible, since there's a mod, that allows you to "equip" "wet female body":

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/27593/?

This "thing" doesn't remove your armor, but overrides its appearance, so you can wear daedric set, but look naked. I think this "naked" can be replaced with anything else.

As for "how to do this": I don't know, because I'm not the one who made this and I never checked it in CK, so anyone, who interested, can do this and just replace "naked" with "clothes" or "whatever you want" and make a mod for you. Or may be you can do it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic interests me greatly. As far as I understand the best or only real solution is still to copy stats over to your appearance items. I don't really like the mechanics that existing mods use for this, though. (unless I've missed some) It seems very clumsy.

I've read up a bit on what's possible with scripting and, would it be possible to do something like this?

• Equip the appearance items of your desire.
  • Somehow "lock" them for transmog. (UI or game) Either everything currently worn or individual slots/items.
  • From now on, everything you equip that replaces one of the locked items, instead copies its stats to the locked item. (or just reequip the appearance item, if you can't actually prevent equipping the new one)
  • To change appearance item, simply unlock the set, and equip a different item.

• 8 months later...

I found a bug within the game that might have the key for this.

Equipping the Saarthal amulet and then equipping some other necklace item will only hide the Saarthal amulet, without unequipping it. Might take a few tries to get this to work.

Idk if it helps, but perhaps this can be exploited; making armor and clothes just replace equipment visually, while leaving them equipped.