Jambo11

I've been working with the Creation Kit to add various containers to Lakeview Manor. Sometimes, I need to move one of the preexisting items to make room. The problem is that the new locations are not reflected the game for some of these items. Items in question are the Wash Basin, the Grindstone, the Tanning Rack, and the Armor Workbench. I've relocated these items in the Creation Kit, but the game doesn't recognize the changes.

Is there any way to move them, or is the only option to delete them and replace them with a non-quest-related version?

Edited by Jambo11

Two possibilities:

1. The items are not moving because they've been made persistent by the BYOH quest(s)

2. The items are not updating because they have already been loaded in your save game.

If you can, go back to a save prior to building the house and see if they change position after building them.

Failing that, lower the stubborn reference about 1000 units below the home. Position a new reference and link it to be enabled when the original stubborn reference is enabled.

Deleting references is not a good idea (unless you added them yourself) as other mods could reference them and result in a crash should the object be deleted.

1. That's what I'm saying. I'm asking if there is some way to make them not persistent.

2. Building the house was a looooong time ago. I'm about 220 hours into the game, with about half of them spent after getting the main hall built. Besides, wouldn't exiting the house and coming back in have the same effect?

As for dropping them down, if altering their X and Y coordinates won't work why would the Z coordinates be any different? Will linking the new reference take care of that?

If so, it should be easy enough: the objects in question are already where I want them to be, in the CK; I just need to duplicate them, conceal the duplicates, then drop the original down.

Thanks for the reply. :smile:

Edited by Jambo11

The problem is this: If they are persistent, you cannot move them. Adjusting the Z axis probably will not work either. It is just the preferred means of dealing with unwanted objects as opposed to deleting them (It is what TES5Edit does to UDRs).

Exiting the cell and re-entering is not the same as visiting the cell for the very first time. Those references because they are persistent are baked into you save. The only way to make an object no longer persistent is to remove it from any quest aliases or properties it may be part of. Given the way the BYOH quests are designed you most likely cannot do that safely. Your only recourse then is to DISABLE the current references and replace with new ones. But that should only be the case for already built homes.

The adjusted positions should work fine on games where the changes were made prior to the quest(s)/scripts being run. Should you intend to release these modifications to the public you will need to test out the adjustments on a new game as well as an existing one.

Would it work to adjust the objects' Z-coordinates in TES5Edit?

FWIW, in case it isn't obvious, I'm not even remotely fit to be releasing my own mods for others to use. As such, I wouldn't dare upload any of my substandard work. Sure, Nexus mods are free, so It wouldn't be as bad as the garbage "Greenlight" games flooding the Steam store (and it helps that mod authors aren't given free reign to censor criticism of their work), but my mods are nothing that can't be made in 10 minutes in the CK.

Besides, being riddled with OCD, even if I was adept at modding, I'd be forever cleaning my mods and tweaking them to get everything perfect that I'd release them at a rate so slow it would make Valve look like EA

Nowadays, I only make mods that make minor changes, either to the game or to mods released by others.

Edited by Jambo11

Well, I installed a mod that overhauls the armory: "Lakeview Armory Redone." The author removed the workbench, the grindstone, and the tanning rack, but did so without deleting them. Persistent originals out of the way: CHECK. The problem I have now is that the new bench, rack, and grindwheel can't be interacted with.

Jeez... I don't think I had this much trouble with the GECK for Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Edited to add: I did see in TES5Edit where various flags can be removed (such as: "PersistentReference QuestItem DisplaysInMainMenu"), which sounds pretty darned useful. Hopefully, snipping those pesky flags off will let me do whatever I want with the grinder, bench, and tanning rack.

Thank the Maker for TES5Edit!

Edited by Jambo11