CTD after optimizing textures with SMCO, and after restoring.

Zeppelin2k

Hello all,

Last night I attempted to clean up the various texture mods I use with an optimizer, SMCO. After running SMCO Skyrim wont get past loading a save. I ran the optimize under the " DDS " tab, it worked and freed up ~600mb, but Skyrim will CTD upon loading any save. No problem, I'll restore my backups. I saved a copy of the whole "textures" and "meshes" folders, as well as all the loose files in data. Restored all of those.... and skyrim still wont run. Same CTD.

I was a bit hasty in backing up, and backed/restored ALL the data loose files (esm, bsa, esp, etc), but I can't imagine this causing a problem if I delete/restore these. All the restored files are exactly the same as they were before using SMCO. Any ideas? I've tried verifying game file integrity, and I'm booting with NMM and SKSE. I can't figure out why the game won't load, unless NMM has disassociated mods after deleting/restoring the .esm's, etc. Thanks.

To clarify, I can make a new game and it seems to work properly. The problem is loading saves. I've actually found that my oldest two saves will load and seem alright, but I would really prefer not to start from where I was months ago. There is a very long list of mods that have changed since then.

• 6 months later...

Did you run the NIF optimization? according to the author it may cause CTD, I am running the program now, DDS and BSA optimizations only though, I'll tell you later what happens. My reasons for running SMCO is because I keep getting black body textures sometimes and that in it self if I ignore the fact it's annoying causes crashes on my system after a while. my hopes are to through this optimization fix the texture issues that I have.

OK so I did run it, and everything is working fine for me, you must have done something wrong, I executed first the DDS optimization alone, and after that I executed the BSA, but I skipped the NIF, I could and still can load my old saves and everything works fine and even better. since both meshes and Textures have been optimized the game runs smoother and I haven't so far experienced my former issues.

Edited by Nando70