[WIP] Realistic Functional Boats (Respect to Physics)

flexcreator

I love the idea of having driveable boats in Skyrim, but I'm unhappy with the existing implementations, so I decided to make my own.

The mod provides driveable realistic boats with respect to physics. All the movement is controled by the game physics engine (Havok). Scripts are used only to navigate and accelerate.
Boats are literaly acting like boats (and YES, you DO have collisions). No more car or horse-style movement.
The boat is stable enough (it wasn't easy, but after 4 days of some fancy math, I finally managed to keep it stable), it can even carry some cargo without sinking. The boat is also a good shooting platform for the player. Unfortunately, can't say the same about followers :(

The first boat stability test:

Boating down the Falskaar, the boat control mechanics is updated:

How to control the boat?

- Hide the weapon

- Activate the boat at one end to move to the oppisite direction. The player will keep rowing until you start to run or change the position

- To change the direction, activate the right or left sides of the boat.

- Rowing will decrease the stamina

- To push the boat, activate it from the bottom

Possible practical usage: Fast travel for cargo.

For example

1) Player can make the place A as a dock

2) Drive to the place B

3) Clear some dungeon and place all the loot on the boat

4) Order one of the followers to drive the boat (with the cargo) back to the dock

If you have any ideas about usage, feel free to share.

This is still work in progress.

Future plans:

- I still have to deal with the critter collisions. Right now, I temporary disabled them, but player is unable to collect insects or fish anymore, so it's not the solution.

- Using ingredients (like Troll Fat) to remove the friction and speed up the boat

- Ways to deliver the boat to the water (and NO, you can't just take it to your inventory!)

Darren83, only when rowing (accelerating) or having an obstacle in the way.

See this part? It's pretty smooth, because player is not accelerating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t27KLMnCo5w#t=570

SKSE or not - doesn't matter, the player skeleton is trying to maintain it's inertia. It's expected and I don't think it's gamebreaking.

Are you using the "TranslateTo" function? This will make things worse, because the engine will fail to calcualte friction correctly.

Ya kind of its a function based on it so pretty much

What are you doing exactly to make it move/row? And if we actually move the camera out like TFC the player moves fine with no clipping so ya it is a little weird for me

That was just a test try which we kind of went meh at since for the mod it would just be a extra mostly but would be cool to get working

Edited by Darren83

What are you doing exactly to make it move/row?

ApplyHavokImpulse

Like I said, the most hard part was NOT to script this thing, but to keep the boat stable without sinking. You can't just take the vanilla mesh and use "ApplyHavokImpulse" to it