Lore friendly mods. Ideas?

xxcomrad3xx

So, I just thought i'd stop by and start a random discussion. While losing much of my creative thinking due to working so much lately. I figured i'd brainstorm..

LORE FRIENDLY MODS:

--Why i think they are important--

• A lore friendly mod is integral to a game because, in keeping with the possible expansion of the series' territory it gives the player a sense of balance, whether knowingly or not that can not be found in more dynamic and intrusive mods. Thus, the overall sum of many lore friendly mods is not only in keeping with the traditional methods of modding but in and of itself furnishing the game-play with a much needed missing element. That element being solely, the presence of completeness.
  • I believe you can have a game that is as silly as you want. It is YOUR game after all. But sometimes you want to play it different or understand it better. When a lore friendly mod is introduced it opens a new experience for seasoned as well as new modders to enjoy. And despite a Lore friendly mods reputation for being scrutinized on the basis that it "constricts" imagination and limits the player/modder to certain confines. It simply isn't true. For if it was, the game developers would never be able to introduce a new game later. Which as we all know. There is always a new game.
  • Simply put, they are fun.

So, now you've read all that banter, surely you're thinking "Why be so in depth for such a simple concept? This doesn't even seem that important."

Well, here is my reasoning: In my search of creative ideas i thought i'd visit the Fallout wiki. Upon my exploration i found some good ideas and wanted to share them with you all and maybe bring to surface new ideas. For quest/armor/weapons... anything actually. Because, first and foremost i'm seeing a lot of requests for things that have been done again and again. Essentially I'm trying to stew the cauldron of creative thinking. Which seems to die so fast these days. Not only is this an endeavor to help come up with ideas and get the request thread to start requesting more realistic, albeit entertaining, enjoyable mods, it's to show new modders that you don't NEED a 200ft pink bunny that shoots laser cannons to have an enjoyable time modding (not that it isn't fun).

Here are a few things i took note of while browsing the wiki and thought would maybe steer people in new directions as far as creating and developing lore friendly mods all the while maintaining much of the uniqueness of any one persons ideas. These are basic observations at best, but perhaps they will inspire others to create great things. Read at your own discretion, it may be kind of long!

• Regarding WW2: The Nazi party was destroyed. However, the Soviet Union remained intact before the divergence. Why is this important? Because, According to lore, the US did not have hostile relations after the war (They were far too focused on China). Despite much of the "Communist Propaganda" found about the fallout games, much of the relations between the US and USSR had reached an agreeable level. (travel between the countries was permitted even).
    • This leads to mods regarding Soviet forces, weapons, uniforms, items, being found in the fallout games, much more lore friendly then previously thought. (Russian visitors perhaps?) Hmm...http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Soviet_Union
    • If the West was JUST at war with Germany and Japan. There would no doubt be references to that war as well found in the halted society. So far, i've seen none. All kinds of war "trophies" would've been brought back to America, some examples are Walther p38 pistols, German helmets, Japanese weapons etc.
  • The United States: This one is kind of a catch-all kind of resource. Because it goes without saying; yes we have the entirety of the USA to use for our mods. Whether it's creating another worldspace or linking to something that's happened or has come from somewhere else. There is always something that can be looked up and made. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/United_States Some other things/places in America to possibly delve into:
    • The different commonwealths and their factions/happenings. (Ex. Midwestern BoS, and other BoS can be found in several states)
    • The Annexation of Canada by the US. (I immediately think, where are the Canadian freedom fighters? Surely there is some somewhere).
    • http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/United_States_Armed_Forces This is a big area that, the series really doesn't like to get into it seems. Purely because its presence would negate a lot of what has happened in the case of the nuclear war. Because surely the navy would have more then a few ships at sea. And the army and airforce are mentioned much more then the other branches. They do mention that since the chain of command was broken there are in fact many splinter groups of troops remaining(enclave,BoS are exactly that.). Which means much of the military is probably still existent.
    • Oh, Mexico got annexed too.
    • Enclave is just the Pre-war government, they are your typical greedy government officials and military..the BoS is US Army deserters. Do with that as you will.
  • There was in fact a Nuclear Winter

Anyhow those are just some ideas, It is getting late and time for bed. In the meantime, what aspects to the lore of the game do YOU think could be best applied? What do you think are some cool things that could be made/done or explored further? maybe we can try making something happen!

Here is some useful pages to help come up with ideas:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline#1942 (timeline of the fallout universe)

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zy5erQ51ukcU.ktGYzdDqm_wA (interactive map of the fallout universe, places where things have happened etc.)

For me, there's a bit of a weird dichotomy going on in my fallout mod order. On the one hand, I generally only have lore-friendly quest and expansion mods. So I don't have AWOP or Warzone but most of the SomeGuy2000 mods. On the the other hand, all of the weapons and outfits I use are very un-lore friendly. So for me, I like mixing the two up.

To actually address your question, for me, it is more challenging to create a lore-friendly mod. But it is that challenge that can lead to more creative solutions/additions that fits well within the Fallout lore.