Removing FWE's added weapons

Grogsky

I do enjoy FWE so far, but I'd like to make one change.

I'd like to remove some of the new weapons from the game, this would also mean removing their associated ammo and everything else that's tied to them for the reloading feature and spawn lists/loot lists for the game (I think, I'm not too in the know). I find the shear variety of weapons available to be a little bit overwhelming and sometimes a little out of place (a G11 two-hundered years after the collapse of civilization? That rifle never made it out of prototyping).

How do I go about removing these components of the mod. Is there a ready made plug in out there that I can use instead of manually removing all of this?

I am not familiar with FWE's internal design so I am basing what I am saying off of my own mods design.

It is possible it would work just fine if you opened FWE in the GECK, delete the weapons you do not want, delete the ammo you do not want, hit Save and make your own esp named something like FWEmyupdate.esp and then use that esp to override and make the changes. This assumes FWE is an esm, but I don't know for sure.

Normally, if you delete a weapon or ammo the GECK will simply remove all references to it from all Lists with no issues. The issue could be if FWE removed all Vanilla weapons and ammo from the Lists which means NPC's would be carrying nothing as far as weapons or loot. Or if FWE specified that certain NPC's carry certain FWE weapons the same could result. Or if FWE has scripts that reference weapons or weapon references that could cause an issue.

I would simply give it a try and see what happens.

I would simply give it a try and see what happens.

Thank you! I didn't know it would be that simple. I only deleted weapons and not ammo because the ammo they use are all linked to CALIBR. This is what happened. The NPC that were already carrying new weapons were still using them. So far none have spawned with any of the deleted new weapons BUT I did find a raider in Superduper Mart who had a new weapon but when I reverted to an earlier save and re-entered the cell for the first time, spawned in with no weapon and fought with fists. Jericho no longer carries a Chinese Assault rifle and instead has his nailboard equipped.

EDIT: Correction, lots of raiders in Superduper mart are spawning without guns.

Edited by Grogsky

It looks like now you are going to have to remove the Leveled Lists for those weapons. The reason Raiders are spawning without weapons is because the Raiders, and probably others you have not encountered yet, still have the FWE Leveled Lists/Items which are now simply empty after deleting the weapons. The NPC's that are using the Lists will still have a % chance of spawning with these now empty Lists and thus use fists.

In the GECK look for the Tree Item called "Leveled Item" which contains the Leveled Lists. You need to look for the ones that start with "withammo..." and have a weapon name from FWE like "withammoColt1911" and delete these.

As far as Jericho goes you have a couple of reasons this might have happened. You accidentally deleted his "FollowersJerichoChineseAssaultRifle" which I doubt. Or he is simply set to Melee combat which can be changed by talking to him if he is a follower. Jericho can switch between the ranged and melee which also changes what weapon he carries.

In the GECK look for the Tree Item called "Leveled Item" which contains the Leveled Lists. You need to look for the ones that start with "withammo..." and have a weapon name from FWE like "withammoColt1911" and delete these.

Done and done. The only thing now is that they seem to spawn in with melee weapons instead of nothing. While it is an improvement, it's not exactly what I'm trying to get to. Whats the next step? By the way, thank you so much for this help. It really does mean a lot.

FURTHER CORRECTION: A good number are still spawning with no weapons or just fighting with fists. I'm using the raiders in super duper mart as my test to know whats going on.

Also, I'm doing this is in the main FWE .esp. should I be doing this to the ESM some how and thats why it's not doing what I want it to do?

Could the problem be that I'm not deleting the weapons and lists in every pther ESP associated with FWE?

Edited by Grogsky

Let me try to explain the esm esp stuff first. The esm is a Master of the esp so any changes you make to the esp will overwrite the esm. When you load the esp in the GECK, and make it the active file, the esm is loading as well. In the case of FWE you have the FWE esm as well as Craft and Calibr esm's loading automatically when you load the FWE esp. When you are editing in the GECK all these files data are shown seamlessly along with all the vanilla esm stuff. When you are finished editing and make the save it will save all the changes to the FWE esp which then overwrites the stuff in the Master esm files.

Now what I would do is not make the FWE esp active when I start editing in the GECK. This way when I save I can save the changes to my own esp such as FWE Changes.esp and put it all end of the load order and it will overwrite everything itself. This way I can turn on and off the changes by activating or deactivating my esp file. If I really screw up I can easily start over by just deleting my esp. Plus, I can make backups before making major changes by copying my esp to a backup directory. Another plus is it is easier to clean my smaller esp in FO3edit.

Now as to the Raider problem. What you are going to have to do is reset the cells by waiting for a number of days somewhere like Megaton or your Player home. I think the vanilla reset time is 3 days, but I normally wait more. This allows all the NPC's in the game to refresh their AI and make any needed changes. Give it a try and see if the Raiders all reset with some type of weapon.

Thank you for the explaination, VforVic. While I'm able to navigate the editing interfaces and what not, I was still not that informed about how the things like that worked. Thank you.

It took about a day, but I went through all the leveled lists and edited them to remove any instances of the weapons from the game. Removed them from vendors, containers, and NPCs. Testing it just now, and the NPCs are spawning with standard affair of weapons. Thank you.

By removing the over powered weapons, I've increased the time it takes for those raiders to kill me from 1.4 seconds to 2.6 seconds! Mission accomplished.

As a bonus, I really like your laser pistols, Vic. Very late 60's.

I also would like to know...

To summarize what I did. I went into the "leveleditem" list and found all the "withammo" instances of a weapon. I right clicked and checked the 'use info' for that weapon and then went into each of those specific leveled item list it said and deleted the "withammo" or "cond" for the weapon I wanted to remove. It will also show which containers spawn the weapons and you need to go into the containers list, find the container, and delete the weapon.

Edited by Grogsky

• 6 months later...