Optimising Oblivion

Povuholo

There are two .ini files - the _default one in Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion, and one in My Documents\Games\Oblivion. It's the latter you should modify.

If you open the .ini in a text editor you should be able to search for any terms you can't find.

Erm... I found the one in My Documents... But when I open it in wordpad it is blank. WTF!?

Can someone throw me a bone?

There are two .ini files - the _default one in Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion, and one in My Documents\Games\Oblivion. It's the latter you should modify.

If you open the .ini in a text editor you should be able to search for any terms you can't find.

Erm... I found the one in My Documents... But when I open it in wordpad it is blank. WTF!?

Can someone throw me a bone?

Need Help!

<BUMP>

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in order for the Oblivion ini in My Documents to be properly created, you need to start a new game first (if this is a fresh install). Then the ini file will be created in the My Documents directory.

• 1 month later...

If you want to add more to your post, you can use the edit button. Please don't double post, thanks. ^^

You're right though, that article page does seem to be rather broadband biased.

hi im having problems with my 7800gs 256mb agp card and i am having frame drops, smooth frame rates right at get go, but when moving around, frame's drops for 30 secs, then averything is fine. Anybody have a camera fix, or a mod that will fix this anoying bug.

I also used the ini tweaker, but nothing happened. link here

http://www.tessource.net/files/cache/1937.html

specs

AMD 3800 duel core overclocked to 2750 Mhz.

windows xp 64bit & home

ASUS motherboard model scratch's head

water cooled down to 23c

hard drive seagate 400gb

hp dvdrw drive 52x

i hope this infomation helps..

• 4 months later...
Guest Tessera

All of the suggestions in this thread are decent, but I'd like to point out the most overlooked problem that all of these "next generation games" suffer from:

Hard drive thrashing and bottlenecks.

The fastest video card, the most overclocked memory and CPU, the most tricked-out file tweaks... none of those juicy little strategies will do you very much good if your system spends time waiting for a bunch of disk-swapping to finish.

You can test this problem on your own computer. Load up a system-intensive game like Oblivion, then fast travel right away to a new, outdoor area. Now, without moving forward or backward, spin your character around in a full 360-degree circle on-axis. Most people will notice a few hangs or pauses of varying severity, as their character's FOV rotates and new scenery comes into view. This is due to the enormous amount of data being shuttled back-and-forth between your hard drive and the rest of your system. The higher your graphical settings are, the more severe this problem will be. It's an enormous amount of data and it all has to be loaded from compressed files on your hard disk... on the fly.

Now, without moving, spin your character once again in the same place. You'll likely see no such pauses or hangs this time, or they'll at least be greatly diminished as compared to the first time. Why..? Because that scene (and its associated data) is now loaded into fast memory and is mainly being rendered from there.

As soon as you change your character's location, this proceess begins all over again. We've all seen the negative effect that this ongoing process has upon framerates and gameplay, as we run across the Oblivion landscape from one town or fort to another. Changing the settings in Oblivion.ini like "GridsToLoad" and so forth can help a little with this issue, but they are by no means the best approach to the problem.

Unfortunately, the actual "fix" for this issue is both expensive and time-consuming...

Setting up your system to run on a PAIR of very fast SATA hard drives is the first step towards alleviating this problem of massive disk swapping (and its resulting bottlenecks). Those drives should then be configured as a RAID 0 array. Oblivion and your other games should be run entirely from that array. By having a pair of drives operating in tandem, the data can be swapped back and forth at an enormously faster rate and your gameplay will be incredibly improved overall.

Here's an example of a gaming rig that I've recently built. This system takes these issues into account and should provide an example of what to shoot for. It is by no means "the ideal mega-system," but is merely being presented as a general guideline:

http://tessmage.com/tessforum/viewtopic.php?t=228

So... before anyone trots down to the store and plunks down a wad of cash on the latest video card... and before you burn up your computer by massively overclocking everything to death... take a look at your harddrives and think twice about where to spend your money. 8)

- Tessera -

I have to say, that is some excellent advice there Tessera. Thanks! I've copied it down and will keep it in mind next time my computer needs rebuilding. ^^

• 3 months later...
hi im having problems with my 7800gs 256mb agp card and i am having frame drops, smooth frame rates right at get go, but when moving around, frame's drops for 30 secs, then averything is fine. Anybody have a camera fix, or a mod that will fix this anoying bug.

I also used the ini tweaker, but nothing happened. link here

http://www.tessource.net/files/cache/1937.html

specs

AMD 3800 duel core overclocked to 2750 Mhz.

windows xp 64bit & home

ASUS motherboard model scratch's head

water cooled down to 23c

hard drive seagate 400gb

hp dvdrw drive 52x

i hope this infomation helps..

I use the same graphic card as you mate, its a heaping pile of trash not much better than a 6800 and handles overclock setting even small ones crappy, Mine beeps like a dam cricket for no reason sometimes and a lot of time won't execpt new 7800 series driver updates,my system is a much weaker 2800 uni amd best I found for runnin oblivion is kill the backround pic on my computer, install oldblivion, set windows to classic visual style and use a decent prog that can clean out the temps and watnot, as for settings I alwasy kill the grass with the console command 'tg set all decals and visual properties down, here are the settings I am able/unwilling to change, Distance building/landscape, texture large, 1024x 768 res, trees objects and actors maxed. I also use oldblivion to dissemble most of the shaders in the game. With that I am able to use 150 mods to deck the world out. I am interested in wat these little tweaks can help now that I am down to my 50 mods I refuse/will never play with out active and a fresh install. but as for that card unclock it and leave it alone best advice I can give through experience, sadly If i had waited 1 more week I would have had the money to buy a 7900 or 8800 for the 6700 duo core vivo I did not have at the time, so atm I have a piece of crap card for my 5 year old comp that sounds like its going into hyperdrive when I turn it on and a new comp that is near worthless to me. ^^

edit: as for temperature dint help me too much the card is suppose to handle 115c mine never went above 45c even when clocked to max with oblvion running on highest settings, when clocked even just slightly I got that annoying lag that tessera noted

• 1 year later...

This is indeed some great information. I was perusing through the links however, and 8 of the 10 I click on were no longer valid. Does anyone have an updated list of the links(or their better replacements by now)? I'd love to get it. Plan on downloading them and burning a copy to DVD so I don't have to go through the hassle for older ones anymore, just for new mods.

Thanks for the help.