Optimising Oblivion

Povuholo

Have you gone to the Tweakguides yet?

Be sure to follow the instructions and tweak your Operating system first, video system second and game last - as just tweaking the game without first doing the OS & Vid may miss a lot that could help with FPS.

[/quo

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best for optimizing Oblivion performance for me was to make a partition where I would install a second operating system consisting only in windows and drivers. No other programs installed. It boosted performance like 20-25 % :D Of course defragmented this partition, as well as partition where the game is installled.

Now I got into tweakguides to work on more finesse.

Best for optimizing Oblivion performance for me was to make a partition where I would install a second operating system consisting only in windows and drivers. No other programs installed. It boosted performance like 20-25 % :D Of course defragmented this partition, as well as partition where the game is installled.

Now I got into tweakguides to work on more finesse.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to tweakguides and I am a little overwhelmed. The site is huge!

Where on that site do I begin? I wish I just had a list of the 10 best tweaks for my poor old XP desktop computer.

suzy

p.s. To those of you that helped me tweak my game .... you've created a monster! haha :)

There should be a step-by-step guide for Oblivion there someplace - if it's the one I think it is, there are several pages just on the ini file ...

• 1 month later...

@suzypike; Tweak guides is broken down into sections. I recommend doing the section on your operating system first. That one is called 'The Tweaking Companion' and covers WinXP, Vista and Win7 - that will optimize it for everything , not just games. Then the one on your video type - either ATI or Nvidia - again that will work for almost all games. Then find the game you want to optimize and do that section. There is one for Oblivion, Fallout3 and New Vegas. And a new one for Witcher2. You don't need to worry about the sections for games you don't have, or operating systems you don't have.

The guides are very clear and easy to follow, with plenty of information for people who want to know why as well as what to change.

There is one for firefox if you use that.

@suzypike; Tweak guides is broken down into sections. I recommend doing the section on your operating system first. That one is called 'The Tweaking Companion' and covers WinXP, Vista and Win7 - that will optimize it for everything , not just games. Then the one on your video type - either ATI or Nvidia - again that will work for almost all games. Then find the game you want to optimize and do that section. There is one for Oblivion, Fallout3 and New Vegas. And a new one for Witcher2.

Thanks Ben! I'll head back over there and take another look.

suzy

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought i'de post this here, for anyone with an NVIDIA card. Not sure if it's been said before.

I've been trying to optimise oblivion and get the best possible image quality and performance.

HDR imho is totally OTT, it overexposes EVERYTHING, so I go for bloom.

Set the bloom to the settings as described in the tweak guide (Advanced settings)

Now here is the awesome part...

In your Nvidia control panel > Adjust desktop color and position, increase image Vibrance...

I set it to 65%, it effectively simulates HDR, without the overexposure, and 0 HDR performance drop, the game looks amazing.

I set mine to 65% and the colours are beautiful and bright, and I have 0 overexposed shots, even in the midday sun.

It probably wont show up in screenshots and it's only simulating vivid colours on your monitor (Havent tested though).

Hope it helps.

EDIT: Oh.... And enable Ambient Occlusion > Quality in the oblivion profile.

Edited by Axeface