How do I edit Dark Souls II Textures?

CelerExcursor

How do I find the exact texture I want to edit?

I mean I enabled the texture dumping, it gave me about 1 600 different texture files

Is there anyway just to dump, for example this one shield I want to edit? I don't need the other 1 600 files

Edit:

I noticed the texture marking

"Mark textures with their hash (for texture modders)"

Does this mark the files somehow so I can more easily find the files I am looking for?

Also it says it is extremely slow, so do I really need to wait for it mark 1 600 files?

I'll tell you the quickest and most efficient way to get the textures you want and nothing else... No marking of textures required.

Note: this is easier in windowed mode because you can immediately see what got dumped. This would also remove the need to tab out.

1. Load all the way into the game and then unequip everything (except ring and usable items).

2. Tab out of the game and completely empty your dump folder.

3. Go back into the game, bring up your inventory and highlight the item you want dumped, do not equip it yet. Then tab out to go back to your dump folder and empty it again.

4. Go back into the game and finally equip the item you want dumped. As soon as you equip the item it should only dump the textures associated with that item and nothing else. Usually 3 or 4 will dump.

5. Go get your newly dumped textures.

6. Rinse and repeat.

It also helps not to move around when doing this because you don't want area textures to reload on accident.

I also would like to clear some things up too, as far as i see them anyway. To make something transparent you have to edit the alpha channel. The alpha channel is a black and white image that defines the areas of the texture that should be hidden. black = hidden, white = opaque and grey = semi-transparent. If you are using photoshop the alpha channel is seen in the tab called "channels". It's usually next to the layers tab. You can also find it by going to the menu bar item called "window" and the select "channels" from the drop-down list.

Well any part of an armor set can be removed actually, however it may cause holes in the model (or rather, the models texture but it will look like a hole in the armor). what you need to do is look at the texture and erase the part you dont want (for example a cape) and save it again in the override folder. furs and capes are very easy to remove as they often have the main armor piece underneath. If you want to see if you can remove a piece of an armor piece you will just need to mod the texture, play the game and see if it looks good. Thats what ive found atleast, might exist a better way.

That's not exactly true from what i've experienced in making things transparent. Sure there are some pieces that can be completely made transparent but for the most part there are designated areas of a texture that can be made transparent. If you go into an area that can't be made transparent you will see a flat black part of the model appear. A perfect example is Lucatiel's Mask. I and others have tried to make the face part of the mask transparent, but since that area of the mask is not set up for transparency all you get is a flat black texture where the face is supposed to be.

Okay, this post has gone on way too long. I hope something in it will be of help to you.

How do I find the exact texture I want to edit?

I mean I enabled the texture dumping, it gave me about 1 600 different texture files

Is there anyway just to dump, for example this one shield I want to edit? I don't need the other 1 600 files

Edit:

I noticed the texture marking

"Mark textures with their hash (for texture modders)"

Does this mark the files somehow so I can more easily find the files I am looking for?

Also it says it is extremely slow, so do I really need to wait for it mark 1 600 files?

I'll tell you the quickest and most efficient way to get the textures you want and nothing else... No marking of textures required.

Note: this is easier in windowed mode because you can immediately see what got dumped. This would also remove the need to tab out.

1. Load all the way into the game and then unequip everything (except ring and usable items).

2. Tab out of the game and completely empty your dump folder.

3. Go back into the game, bring up your inventory and highlight the item you want dumped, do not equip it yet. Then tab out to go back to your dump folder and empty it again.

4. Go back into the game and finally equip the item you want dumped. As soon as you equip the item it should only dump the textures associated with that item and nothing else. Usually 3 or 4 will dump.

5. Go get your newly dumped textures.

6. Rinse and repeat.

It also helps not to move around when doing this because you don't want area textures to reload on accident.

I also would like to clear some things up too, as far as i see them anyway. To make something transparent you have to edit the alpha channel. The alpha channel is a black and white image that defines the areas of the texture that should be hidden. black = hidden, white = opaque and grey = semi-transparent. If you are using photoshop the alpha channel is seen in the tab called "channels". It's usually next to the layers tab. You can also find it by going to the menu bar item called "window" and the select "channels" from the drop-down list.

Well any part of an armor set can be removed actually, however it may cause holes in the model (or rather, the models texture but it will look like a hole in the armor). what you need to do is look at the texture and erase the part you dont want (for example a cape) and save it again in the override folder. furs and capes are very easy to remove as they often have the main armor piece underneath. If you want to see if you can remove a piece of an armor piece you will just need to mod the texture, play the game and see if it looks good. Thats what ive found atleast, might exist a better way.

That's not exactly true from what i've experienced in making things transparent. Sure there are some pieces that can be completely made transparent but for the most part there are designated areas of a texture that can be made transparent. If you go into an area that can't be made transparent you will see a flat black part of the model appear. A perfect example is Lucatiel's Mask. I and others have tried to make the face part of the mask transparent, but since that area of the mask is not set up for transparency all you get is a flat black texture where the face is supposed to be.

Okay, this post has gone on way too long. I hope something in it will be of help to you.

Oh wow, hey thanks man for the help!

Guest Maniac Of The Abyss

I f***ing hate this software, no matter what ive done it hasnt worked for s***. DSfix was so much better