Tutorials Abound

theuseless

Well, I just noticed that this idea had been done and is now pinned, but I had been collecting a bunch of tutorials specifically for Oblivion. While I'm not trying to steal any thunder, I noticed that the list which was originally posted by Zuzaski is hard to read and understand for a newer player/modder. I simply am reposting my original in order to give another outlet for people to start with. The original post wasn't able to be updated, so I re-posted it in hopes that I might continue my work. I will link to the pinned article for more detailed tutorials.

Mission statement:

This thread was started to make playing mods easier. It is also geared towards making the learning process of modding less painful and more fun! This is also provided as a place to link to when answering questions. I'm a tutorial hound. I love following tutorials and have decided to post this thread to help promote GOOD tutorials. I haven't gotten through too many yet, so I'm starting this out with the bare minimum. As the thread progresses, I will update and add more tutorials. I will also categorize them, but for now there are but the few. This thread will be maintained once per week! This will hopefully allow time for feedback. If no feedback is provided, I will browse the tutorial myself and look for errors where possible. The term "noob" is used purely as a descriptive, as we all started somewhere. Please don't take offense. Also please don't troll this thread, it was intended as a learning tool. Look up "trolling" under the Forum Rules and Strikes if you don't understand.

Got a tutorial you would like to share? Wrote a tutorial for noobs? Great! Please post!

Tutorials:

Noob tutorials:

Ben's Oblivion Support - tutorials written by local moderator bben46. A great place to start if you have little or no experience with playing or installing mods.

A Beginner's Guide - a good place to start if you seriously wish to start making mods for Oblivion.

How to Make Mods - a nifty set of tutorials and instructions aimed at helping make the process more smooth. Written by our own local moderator, LHammonds

Modder's Rescources:

How to Create New Re-Textured Items - make stuff look how you wish. For the artists out there

Working Drawbridges - make a set of working drawbridges with an operator to open and close them for you!

Oblivion Modding Links - Zuzaski's links

Advanced Tools:

tes4edit basics - this is the absolute basics. Whatever you do, don't load Oblivion.esm into the list!

Fo3Edit Training Manual - now before you get your panties all bunched up, this manual is usable with TES4edit!. There currently is no version of the manual translated to Oblivion but the program functions are identical.

Porting Hair Into Oblivion - written by the generous DesuChan. Only to be used for personal use, don't release anything publicly with knowledge obtained from this tut ;)

Tutorial Criteria:

1: The tutorial must pertain to Oblivion or programs used for modding it! (hey, people make mistakes :stupid: lol)

2: Submit working tutorials only. I hate to state the obvious, but make sure the tutorial is complete. It may be also finished through easily identified links or replies. Basically, don't post an unfinished tutorial here. Period. If you want help completing your tutorial, please start your own topic. I would love to post it when its done!

3: You must add new material or explain existing material in a new way (don't regurgitate somebody else's tutorial to get posted! >:( )

4: Please make sure the tutorial follows forum rules (ie no profanity, no specifically nude tutorials, sorry)

5: The Tutorial can be posted on any website but must be viewable by all

6: Always check for any copyrights and get permission if you didn't write the tutorial. This is just common courtesy and will help eliminate erroneous tutorials. Posting from the wiki or the nexus is obviously acceptable. I will send notification to the author upon posting otherwise.

7: Please try to use proper English as some people who read here use translators. (ie babblefish) If the tutorial is posted in a different language, please state so in the post and link to either babblefish or similar program.

8: may be video or text. If video is submitted, please include a detailed description and provide a link to the video. Please do not simply post youtube video as some readers will undoubtedly be on lower end computers with lower end connection speeds.

Well, that's it for now.

I'm hoping that people will post cool tutorials here for me to explore! It is less painful than reverse engineering scripts out of mods and then contacting the authors. They sometimes need to be bribed with new scripts, milk and cookies, etc. in order to use their work :P Also needed are good tutorials aimed at noobs! If you plan on writing a tutorial, please include some fun! We don't want tutorials written by chimpanzees or robots lol. If a tutorial you wrote got posted here somehow without your permission, notify me by PM. I will remove it promptly. The same thing goes for broken links or broken tutorials. I will remove or update them as soon as I can.

I hope this thread is of help to somebody out there. Please post!

:mage: theuseless