Exterior Navmesh Question

I have quite a bit of experience when it come to navmeshing interiors, but today is the first time I really take a crack at exterior navmeshing. At first things were going great, but then I ran into an issue that I've never had with interior navmeshing. So here's my question:

When navmeshing in exterior cells, why can't you connect certain vertices and why are others forced back a few "feet"?

Thank you in advance,

- Sparten

Interior cells are just one cell, they aren't divided up like exteriors are. With exterior cells, you can't make anymore navmesh beyond a cell boundary unless you start placing new navmesh in that cell. When you've done, line up the vertices on both sides of the boundary next to each other, finalize the navmesh, and if you've done it correctly, a thick green line should appear between them running along the boundary, meaning the two cell's navmeshes are connected.

You can't connect vertices between cells. You have to align the points between cells, and when they're finalized there will be thick, green bars on cells that are successfully interconnected. No green bars = misalignment, usually due to variation in height. It can be a pain in the ass in uneven terrain.

Here's a better explanation (Under "Tweaking the Exterior Navmesh").

http://geck.bethsoft.com/images/1/1a/Enable_Exterior_Navmesh.jpg

EDIT: NINJA'ED! ;)

Edited by someguy2000

You can't connect vertices between cells. You have to align the points between cells, and when they're finalized there will be thick, green bars on cells that are successfully interconnected. No green bars = misalignment, usually due to variation in height. It can be a pain in the ass in uneven terrain.

Here's a better explanation (Under "Tweaking the Exterior Navmesh").

http://geck.bethsoft.com/images/1/1a/Enable_Exterior_Navmesh.jpg

EDIT: NINJA'ED! :wink:

Thank you, that was way faster than I thought! Love your mods by the way.

Interior cells are just one cell, they aren't divided up like exteriors are. With exterior cells, you can't make anymore navmesh beyond a cell boundary unless you start placing new navmesh in that cell. When you've done, line up the vertices on both sides of the boundary next to each other, finalize the navmesh, and if you've done it correctly, a thick green line should appear between them running along the boundary, meaning the two cell's navmeshes are connected.

Thanks