{HELP} FONV won't launch via NMM or NVSE, just Steam

Riffick

Okay so I've exchausted every possibility I can think of to resolve this issue. Here's what happened;

Playing FONV, pull out a gun, and now I'm holding an exclaimation mark. I know how to fix this! I say logging out and preparting to trouble shoot my load lists and possibly even reinstall one or two.

So I leave, uninstall the mod I suspect and reinstall it and returning my mod order to normal. Go to launch the game... and nothing. I trouble shoot for a couple hours before disabling everything non-vanilla. STILL the game won't work. NMM and direct NVSE won't work, I get an "error 5:0000065434"

I then get pissed uninstall everything (including vanilla via steam) and wipe the entire data base clean of all FONV related files and folders. Then as clean a reinstall as I can possibly do of FONV via steam. Launches via Steam fine. Reinstall NMM, and get the same "error 5:0000065434" message.

Just for the hell of it tried NVSE again; via it's direct launch in the FONV file I get the "error 5:0000065434" and via NMM launc NVSE option the game opens and freezes on the screen with all "all rights reserved" and such on it or just freezes on a black screen.

Someone pleas help me figure this out cause I had gotten the game working exactly how I wanted it (all my shiny mods from the Nexus) and it was working perfectly (say one missing mesh/texure)... now it won't even start...

First, try the steam verify cache

Then,you MUST start the game the first time with no mods and through the steam launcher - this sets up a modified ini file based on your hardware.

If you are launching from the NVSE launcher (or any other non steam launcher) - steam must already be running in the background. It's supposed to automatically start, but sometimes that feature doesn't work right.

So I went away for a couple of days, came back and launched the game like I normally would (just for shiggles) and it worked...

It fixed itself? Not sure how though...

Re-downloading and re-installing mods now, fingures crossed that it doesn't decide not to work again.

Thanks for help bben46 and jim_uk!!!

Edited by Riffick

well.... it stopped working again, same error. I don't get why it works one second and I get the error the next.

@bben46, tried your solution and it didn't work. Even after I validate, right after validating, it still says one file failed to validate and will be reacquired.

@jim_uk, searching through the link now

So I believe I've found the problem. While the link jim_uk provided mainly talked about the regular NV launcher, my NMM wasn't finding the NVSE launcher or it had been somehow corrupted. A reinstall (following the readme and saying 'yes' to all overwrite prompts) directly to the folder where my standard NV launcher resides has solved the NMM not launching NVSE. It still won't launch standard NV, but since I don't use that, I'm not going to fiddle with it anymore.

Edited by Riffick