Organizing custom armor meshes by race? (bodyslide)

wysiwyg

In a nutshell my problem is this: I'd like to use optional esp files to implement race specific body shapes and matching armor meshes with one required default esp/esm.

I'm trying to create a way to easily and quickly allow users who install the mod to select body types by race by just selecting or creating a slider set and using ctrl-key plus the batch create button to write the output to race specific directories. Ideally there wouldn't need to be mod changes required after altering the choices for a race.

If you've tried this then the obvious problem is that while you can override the armoraddons by race you have to rely on the original armor object. If you didn't it'd break existing inventory items, recipes, etc. So, only one mod can update "leather armor curiass" for example. The last in the load order gets implemented with its armoraddons as specified in that last esp.

The only thing I can think of is using a single esp and split out the race specifying armoraddons by race and changing the main armor object to always use the split up addons instead of a single one. Unfortunately, that means complete meshes for each race even if they are identical which isn't so great for the number of custom objects and disk space used. On the plus side I could always post a lite version the mod without all of the meshes and require the user to generate them after installation. However, the "ready to run" version will be massive because of all of the nif files.

Perhaps I could just create 3 or 4 body types but that would require editing the races for each armor addon to change the body/armor mesh assignments which is the type of thing I'm trying to avoid.

Any other ideas? I've taken a look at other unique body mods and the instructions are always really complicated and require a great deal of work to customize.