Playable illithid (mind flayer) race: mod progress

oblivionhot

I would very much like to see some Apocrypha tie-in with the mod. Also, would you consider having a unique start or something for the illithid? Starting straight out of helgen would be pretty weird. Maybe you make a character of any race, make your way to somewhere close to helgen or somewhere where you finish a small quest to become a Illithid. Brings up a customization panel where you can choose your skin color and stuff. Heraeus mora converting the dragonborn into an illithid to follow him, then me role playing and going to kill miraak and take his place sounds like the story I could get behind. Do you think Illithids have powers that allow them to fool people into thinking they are human?

There is already a mod for this- Alternate start: live another life. They did it better than I ever could. Especially the necromancer start is good, for it drops you right inside blackreach. Which makes me think of recreating the illithid community from the Drizzt series, which would be kinda cool to do after the race is done.

There are indeed some cool suggestions. I am not a real fan of 'becoming' an illithid though. You either are an illithid or you are not. some kind of questline featuring Mora/seekers would be cool though. It would, in any case, be optional: I don't want to make any DLC required.

On racial relationships:

It would indeed be kind of weird to just walk into a city being your tentacled self. A greater power makingeverybody like you but attack you without it is possible, but I think it will just be a pain in the ass using it. I'll think about it.

Edited by oblivionhot

I would very much like to see some Apocrypha tie-in with the mod. Also, would you consider having a unique start or something for the illithid? Starting straight out of helgen would be pretty weird. Maybe you make a character of any race, make your way to somewhere close to helgen or somewhere where you finish a small quest to become a Illithid. Brings up a customization panel where you can choose your skin color and stuff. Heraeus mora converting the dragonborn into an illithid to follow him, then me role playing and going to kill miraak and take his place sounds like the story I could get behind. Do you think Illithids have powers that allow them to fool people into thinking they are human?

There is already a mod for this- Alternate start: live another life. They did it better than I ever could. Especially the necromancer start is good, for it drops you right inside blackreach. Which makes me think of recreating the illithid community from the Drizzt series, which would be kinda cool to do after the race is done.

There are indeed some cool suggestions. I am not a real fan of 'becoming' an illithid though. You either are an illithid or you are not. some kind of questline featuring Mora/seekers would be cool though. It would, in any case, be optional: I don't want to make any DLC required.

On racial relationships:

It would indeed be kind of weird to just walk into a city being your tentacled self. A greater power makingeverybody like you but attack you without it is possible, but I think it will just be a pain in the ass using it. I'll think about it.

Yup, I know about Alternate start and I don't really know much about the Illithid. Also, I think it's belua sanguinare that has a power vampires can use to make themselves indistinguishable from humans so they can go undetected. Might be something to look into.

------------------------

DEVELOPMENT

------------------------

-------------

update 3

-------------

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZJ0l2Wsc3Uo/U6wzQlN7BLI/AAAAAAAAAvM/t4qoSFDcfVI/s1600/ScreenShot22.jpg

Didn't feel like modding the illithid, so I modded a part of blackreach near Sinderion's shack. When looking at this, imagine all this being blank dirt... because it was before. Because it is so dark in vanilla you can't see it, but there are actually a lot of nooks that don't even have rocks in them.

Edited by oblivionhot

------------------------

DEVELOPMENT

------------------------

-------------

update 4

-------------

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--EJsEGp-Wio/U7Fpik19O8I/AAAAAAAAAvc/M9V-3lWQRfA/s1600/ScreenShot25.jpg

Well, something clearly went wrong....
This was exactly why I did't want to remesh the hands: the robes have a grand total of 33 bones atached to the mesh.

Trying to fix it now!

what it should look like:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bGuYMyyMf2A/U7FqagEKIoI/AAAAAAAAAvo/MIRXeM8bcns/s1600/Naamloos.png

It's a remesh of the greybeard robes.

------------------------

DEVELOPMENT

------------------------

-------------

update 5

-------------

Big update today!

Things I did:

1) I added eyes to the main mesh bequz adding 'real' eyes wasn't working. You'll have to put up with one color eyes for now, which is fine because according to lore, illi's all have 'milky, pupil-les eyes' and all look alike.

2) I solved the head floating just ever so slighly above the torso

3) I updated the weight painting of the tentacles to be less dependant of the head itself (so if the head turns, the tentacles will stay in place a bit)

4) a better UV map for the textures

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yQl9wlWULA4/U7WAWesIDnI/AAAAAAAAAv4/Tl97C4rEdBQ/s1600/ScreenShot27.jpg

The lines are part of the UV map, so I can see where I am texturing (so I can actually discern the forehead from the tentacles and such). removing them is as easy as selecting black and changing it to green, so no worries :wink:

Edited by oblivionhot

ah, uhm, my lack of progress today can best be explained like this.

I'll be in the French wilderness for some time with the summer holidays and all, so no progress will be made or replies read. Be sure to comment and suggest features though! It really helps my motivation!

Edited by oblivionhot

• 2 weeks later...

I've got internet from here, but as I'm not yet home I can't work on anything.

well, uhm, it seems illithids, among others, are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast. What this means, is that you cannot use the name 'illithid' or any existing illithid image or anything in your own stuff.

As I've made the illithid from scratch, there is no problem with my continuing my work. However, I can't use the name in-game, so it will have to be named otherwise. For example, the creators of the illithid companion mod for Oblivion called it a 'mindslayer'.

I have not yet decided on a name and will not until work's been done. I will consider suggestions but if none are forthcoming I'll just make one up.
I don't want it to be some cheesy variation on 'illithid' or 'mind flayer'. Maybe give it a deadric-like name... like Hermaeic this or seeker that...