Making Books Unpickupable

Mattiewagg

Basically what the title says. I want to make a book kind of like a static - you can't pick it up. I ticked the box in the CK that says "Can't Pick Up" which only kind of worked. I can't pick up the book by pressing the button 'Take' in-game, but I can by pressing the activate key (E).

Is there any way to make it so you can't pick it up at all?

Thanks

There is a note attached to a post by a knife on the edge of the giant camp along the road between Kynesgrove and Riften. This note can be read but does not get added to the player inventory. It does havok settle to the ground as if the player ripped it from the knife to read it. Looking at how that is done might give you an idea of how to make a book readable but not added to the player inventory.

There is a note attached to a post by a knife on the edge of the giant camp along the road between Kynesgrove and Riften. This note can be read but does not get added to the player inventory. It does havok settle to the ground as if the player ripped it from the knife to read it. Looking at how that is done might give you an idea of how to make a book readable but not added to the player inventory.

I would if I could. Right now I don't have a computer that's mine with me, so I'll have to look at that a few weeks from now. But thanks anyway. It's just been a problem that's been bugging me for a while.

Do you happen to know the note's editorID in the CK, so I can look at it later?

I was thinking about this...

1. Make a static copy of the book

2. Place it where you want it to appear

3. Create a triggerbox volume around the book

4. Set the triggerbox to act as an activator (i.e. player gets the E to whatever message)

5. Create the book that gets read

6. Apply this script to the triggerbox

ScriptName SomeScript Extends ObjectReference

Book Property MyBook Auto

Event OnActivate(ObjectReference Someone)

If Someone == Game.GetPlayer()

MyBook.Activate(Game.GetPlayer())

EndIf

EndEvent

This should produce a fixed book that cannot be picked up yet is readable

I was thinking about this...

1. Make a static copy of the book

2. Place it where you want it to appear

3. Create a triggerbox volume around the book

4. Set the triggerbox to act as an activator (i.e. player gets the E to whatever message)

5. Create the book that gets read

6. Apply this script to the triggerbox

ScriptName SomeScript Extends ObjectReference

Book Property MyBook Auto

Event OnActivate(ObjectReference Someone)

If Someone == Game.GetPlayer()

MyBook.Activate(Game.GetPlayer())

EndIf

EndEvent

This should produce a fixed book that cannot be picked up yet is readable

Okay. I'll look at both those methods.

One might expect that just checking the Can't Be Taken option for the book in Creation Kit would accomplish this, but sadly that is not so.

If it were me, I would add a script to your book listening for the OnContainerChanged event to return the book to its original location (or at least cause it to drop to the ground). Not offering this as a better option, just an alternative in case the activation still allows the player to take the object.