Bobio567

• 1 month later...

It took over a year but I've finally managed to get one of my signs in game. There's still a lot of work to be done but this mod can finally start going somewhere :D

http://oi60.tinypic.com/vxkqpg.jpg

It's absolutely amazing looking! Kudos to you for simply refusing to give up!

I've been following this thread since page 1 a good while back, and these designs are spectacular. Very glad to see one up and running, it's incorporated flawlessly IMO.

Please don't give up now that FO4 is around the corner, some of us have a nostalgic love of New Vegas and will continue to keep playing and looking forward to additions such as this.

Great work, seriously though.

Edited by SKYZOO

Thanks for your support Skyzoo! I'll keep turning these signs out for as long as it takes. Of course my blender and nifskope skills are still laughable but there'll be small breakthroughs every time. Stay tuned for more signs tho :)

• 10 months later...

Can I get some suggestions on how to release these signs? I've uploaded 2 of them already but the more models I create the more I start to realize that releasing each sign as a standalone mod might get a bit annoying. Any ideas on how I can package them? Maybe a "Strip pack" and a "Fremont" pack? Maybe one single mod that I can constantly update? I'm pretty much open to anything right now.

In the meantime, I've managed to get "The Sands #1" and the "New Frontier" signs in-game with working textures so they're ready to upload. The "Castaways" is will be up next :thumbsup:

http://oi68.tinypic.com/24lu6tk.jpg

http://oi64.tinypic.com/10rjtrp.jpg

These signs are GLORIOUS! So very cool! :woot:

I'd say that a good way to release these would be to make one page where you can upload them as you make them. This way people could track the file to get notified when it's updated. And whenever there is a new one you could post a picture in the imageshare so people see what's new :)

When you reach a finale of creating these signs you could do multiple packages, or an all-in-one combo package with mesh and texture BSA's plus one ESP, along with the idea of still having them as individual ESP files all collected on one file page as @Jokerine said.

That way people can be pick and choose which signs they prefer if only wanting select ones, and it also leaves the ability to incorporate them into other mods that add to The Strip or change the layout of the area as to avoid a mod conflict. (I imagine mods like "The Strip Open" would need some sort of compatibility patches, but idk...)

I could see a final combo package or two that could be made out of the individuals once they're finished, probably a lot easier than starting a combo packaged mod and having to strip the individuals out of it. It just seems simpler to me to merge / group them once you're happy with your work and have the statics' placement set with the paths all in order.

That way it would be the option of one or two major ESP's at that point, and people could tweak the mod to fit it into their vanilla / modded version of the strip to their liking, without forfeiting the option of the individual signs ESP's being offered for download. (People love their freedom of choice in modding, so the more options, be it many smaller ESP's or a few large packaged mods would serve dual purposes)

Btw, great work as usual, these never cease to impress :thumbsup:. Your list of signs on your profile that you plan to create is EPIC :ohmy:...purely epic.

Just hit upon this thread, and I have to say: what a marvelously ambitious project. You are to be congratulated on persevering to learn how to do it yourself in order to see it realized. And the results do look gorgeous.

Unfortunately I don't see how you are going to fit 80+ signs into a three block strip, or even if you placed some outside of it. So may I suggest that both "Michael Angelo's workshop" and "Zapp's Neon Signs" are already established as places one would expect a "sign graveyard"? You could tack on an "exterior" to the back of Michael Angelo's for the purpose without apparently interfering with anything else. There doesn't appear to be any way to approach the back of that workshop from either inside or outside of the strip.

Zapp's has plenty of generic discarded signs, and places where more could be stacked, but that is in the middle of Fiend territory and you would probably run into problems with their navmeshes. But there is a lot of open space all around the outside of New Vegas where a sign graveyard or two could be placed.

Perhaps someone can help by contributing a side-quest (from Michael Angelo?) to give people a reason to dig through the graveyards to locate particular signs.

If you do erect any of the taller ones, don't forget to create "viewable while distant" (VWD) meshes for them so they will appear in the distance, especially if they are comparable to the height of the "Lucky 38" tower.

As for how to release them, I support both Jokerine's and Skyzoo's suggestions. Single point of release, with multiple options to incorporate as either individual or mass units.

It's not only a matter of choice, but also of what individual systems are capable of handling. Not everyone can handle ultra high-rez (4096x4096 pixel or higher) textures. Many are stuck with only standard (512x512 pixel) resolution. Frankly I can't see any significant difference above 1024x1024 myself. I would limit myself to the most common three resolutions: 512x512, 1024x1024, and 2048x2048.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be sure to set up a page on the nexus where I can upload all further signs as individual mods along with a package mod which will be updated.

@Jokerine Thanks haha and yeah, a single page is definitely looking like the best option right now.

@SKYZOO I originally forgot about mods that could change the layout of the Strip and Fremont lol. I figure releasing the signs as modder’s resources would be better than having to create several compatibility patches. I'll also take up that suggestion of releasing them as individual files in addition to the packaged file.

@dubiousintent yeah, dumping all of the signs on the strip and in Fremont was my original plan. It didn't take too long to notice, like Skyzoo pointed out, all of the mods that change those places so I think releasing them as a modder's resource is better so people could put them where they want. However, I do like that side-quest idea for Michelangelo's and Zapps so I might do something with that in the future. Also, thanks for giving me those resolution dimensions; when I was making the textures, I was afraid of using too much space so my existing .dds files are all awkwardly somewhere between 956 x 729 and 1211 x 731 :facepalm: .

Edited by Bobio567