"The Dovahkiin Speaks: Speech Overhaul" Request

Idiomic

Either I'm oblivious and there already exists a mod that turns the Speech skill into a true jack-of-all-trades skill and lets players pay people to collect ingredients and offer services, or nobody's done it yet.

To many players in vanilla Skyrim, Speech simply levels up on its own as you routinely sell junk to afford training and tiny amounts of ingredients, and the skill itself mainly influences barter. It also helps with a limited amount of speech challenges that prevent fights and therefore experience and loot. Alas, there's no quest-giving to NPCs for 20 pieces of canis roots and hanging moss, no alchemist who will fill an order of 20 Fortify Barter potions, no going to a blacksmith and paying through the nose to improve your equipment to Legendary quality... not even going to Sergius Turrianus of the College of Winterhold as an enchantments customer. He just offers training and tells you to do it yourself if you're more experienced than him.

I want a reason to put perks into Speech for more than just convenience. I want to Shout more often, Shout better, Shout silently (Illusion does this, but that's a high-level magic perk and the Requiem mod disables it) and be able to afford new services that would otherwise cost 50,000 gold if without perks.

I want my tongue to be my weapon... both literally and figuratively. I want Speech and perks to provide some powerful assistance to my smithing, alchemy and enchanting needs. I'll follow a quest-line if I have to, just to get in touch with a group of Necromancers for a steady supply of Black Soul Gems. I'll cozy up with the Jarls if that means the alchemists of Skyrim will be at my service. I want the craftsmanship of the Nords and the Orcs for the truly finest weapons and armor, and not some dumb game of luck to buy an unimproved Ebony sword. I want Sergius Turrianus to actually enchant my stuff, maybe seek out a legendary enchantress to put down two enchantments. I want to have the penmanship, the mass-purchased parchment and the arcane knowledge to write scrolls. I want my character to have the wits to make a deal with the Jarls, suppose I could enchant the guards' dull old blades that could hardly cut butter.

And finally, Speech perks to make my followers truly competent, train them to fight as fast as lightning, be as invisible as the wind, and simply refuse to lose to Deadly Dragons because of the gear I pulled strings to obtain.

The pen is mightier than the sword. And I feel that only an overhaul of the Speech skill is going to make that a reality in Skyrim.

hmmm I've seen quite a few of these requests in the last two or three months... gotta say you put more work in the request than most. well done!

I would look into this, but right now I only do custom NPCs... working n the scripting part right now.

Edited by qwertyzeldar

Either I'm oblivious and there already exists a mod that turns the Speech skill into a true jack-of-all-trades skill and lets players pay people to collect ingredients and offer services, or nobody's done it yet.

To many players in vanilla Skyrim, Speech simply levels up on its own as you routinely sell junk to afford training and tiny amounts of ingredients, and the skill itself mainly influences barter. It also helps with a limited amount of speech challenges that prevent fights and therefore experience and loot. Alas, there's no quest-giving to NPCs for 20 pieces of canis roots and hanging moss, no alchemist who will fill an order of 20 Fortify Barter potions, no going to a blacksmith and paying through the nose to improve your equipment to Legendary quality... not even going to Sergius Turrianus of the College of Winterhold as an enchantments customer. He just offers training and tells you to do it yourself if you're more experienced than him.

I want a reason to put perks into Speech for more than just convenience. I want to Shout more often, Shout better, Shout silently (Illusion does this, but that's a high-level magic perk and the Requiem mod disables it) and be able to afford new services that would otherwise cost 50,000 gold if without perks.

I want my tongue to be my weapon... both literally and figuratively. I want Speech and perks to provide some powerful assistance to my smithing, alchemy and enchanting needs. I'll follow a quest-line if I have to, just to get in touch with a group of Necromancers for a steady supply of Black Soul Gems. I'll cozy up with the Jarls if that means the alchemists of Skyrim will be at my service. I want the craftsmanship of the Nords and the Orcs for the truly finest weapons and armor, and not some dumb game of luck to buy an unimproved Ebony sword. I want Sergius Turrianus to actually enchant my stuff, maybe seek out a legendary enchantress to put down two enchantments. I want to have the penmanship, the mass-purchased parchment and the arcane knowledge to write scrolls. I want my character to have the wits to make a deal with the Jarls, suppose I could enchant the guards' dull old blades that could hardly cut butter.

And finally, Speech perks to make my followers truly competent, train them to fight as fast as lightning, be as invisible as the wind, and simply refuse to lose to Deadly Dragons because of the gear I pulled strings to obtain.

The pen is mightier than the sword. And I feel that only an overhaul of the Speech skill is going to make that a reality in Skyrim.

Yeah, good luck with people who are all ''kill on sight'' towards you. After all, actions speak louder than words.

Edited by AfroGamerNinja