SKSE Questions [POLL]

Mattiewagg

SKSE Questions  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have SKSE installed?

• Yes, I do.
    • No, I don't.
  2. 2. Do you wish modders tried not to require SKSE, even if it means they're limited when creating mods?

• Yes, I wish modders tried not to require SKSE.
    • No, I'm fine with having SKSE required.
    • I want SKSE required, if it means even one more, tiny feature!

This is partially just because I'm curious, but also for a mod I'm making. I'd like to use some SKSE functions, and if I did, the mod would be more fleshed out and interesting. So far though, I don't need SKSE to do what I'm trying to do. So I want to know if the modding community prefers not having mods require SKSE, or if they don't care. I also want to know how many of you have SKSE, since I think it's a pretty big number, and if you have it already then I might as well use the SKSE functions.

So fill out the poll, and answer the questions. If you've got any particularly passionate responses, or want to elaborate more on your choice, then feel free to post below.

Thanks for your time,

Matthiaswagg

If your mod does not need SKSE, don't go out of your way to use it. If there is a SKSE feature that will do the job you want done, don't feel bad for including it and requiring SKSE. You may even encounter some cases where the mod works without SKSE but you'd like to have a few additional features if SKSE is installed. That is totally possible to do. You do not have to alienate non-SKSE users just because you want to use a SKSE function here or there.

Case in point, my Wood Chopping to Max Carry Weight mod (WCMCW) has a small feature if SKSE is installed that calculates the weight based on the actual in-game weight of the firewood (some mods change it). Whereas users without SKSE can still use the mod, it just defaults to using the stock weight value even if that is not the correct weight any longer.

If your mod does not need SKSE, don't go out of your way to use it. If there is a SKSE feature that will do the job you want done, don't feel bad for including it and requiring SKSE. You may even encounter some cases where the mod works without SKSE but you'd like to have a few additional features if SKSE is installed. That is totally possible to do. You do not have to alienate non-SKSE users just because you want to use a SKSE function here or there.

Case in point, my Wood Chopping to Max Carry Weight mod (WCMCW) has a small feature if SKSE is installed that calculates the weight based on the actual in-game weight of the firewood (some mods change it). Whereas users without SKSE can still use the mod, it just defaults to using the stock weight value even if that is not the correct weight any longer.

How would you go about including a feature that is used only if you have SKSE?

Read this post: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/967586-way-to-check-if-skse-is-installed/&do=findComment&comment=7814856

Taking upon that script snippet..

Here is a function that you can call whenever you want to know if SKSE is installed before processing an optional SKSE function

Bool Function SKSEInstalled()
	Bool Result = false
	if(SKSE.GetVersionRelease() > 0)
		Result = true
		debug.trace("skse is installed")
	else
		Result = false
		debug.trace("No skse")
	endif
	Return Result
EndFunction 

You could go further into detail and do different things depending upon the version of SKSE installed, if you really wanted to.

The script does have to be compiled with SKSE installed, but you can easily test it without SKSE to ensure that what you want to do when there is no SKSE happens correctly.

I can't imagine objecting to skse just like I can't imagine objecting to a bashed patch. These two little tools enhance both the experience of playing mods and the ease of making them to such an extent I just assume you should have them if you are downloading my mod. I'm just about there on the MCM, too. (Install SkyUI-be-gone if you don't like the SkyUI interface.) Honestly when I see people saying they don't want to use SKSE and requesting that mod authors accommodate them, I mostly just feel like dopeslapping them.

I go out of my way to avoid requiring the official DLCs because they cost money and make changes that some players may not like.

I don't think twice about requiring SKSE.

I can't imagine objecting to skse just like I can't imagine objecting to a bashed patch. These two little tools enhance both the experience of playing mods and the ease of making them to such an extent I just assume you should have them if you are downloading my mod. I'm just about there on the MCM, too. (Install SkyUI-be-gone if you don't like the SkyUI interface.) Honestly when I see people saying they don't want to use SKSE and requesting that mod authors accommodate them, I mostly just feel like dopeslapping them.

I go out of my way to avoid requiring the official DLCs because they cost money and make changes that some players may not like.

I don't think twice about requiring SKSE.

DLC requirements I get not having - while a lot of people got the Legendary Edition of Skyrim, you can't expect them to, since they might not necessarily be able to afford it. Unless your mod is about Dawnguard or Dragonborn or Hearthfire, or absolutely must use one of those, you shouldn't require it. But SKSE is completely free and easy to install, and there are hundreds, if not thousands, of other mods that require it.