Use real police logo in mod

thecollector97

Hi everyone,

I'm going to publish a mod that uses Fallout NV's police car 3D model (which I'm not going to include due to copyright, users will import in F3 on their own), but I edited the textures regarding logos, adding real police logo, like Washington Metropolitan Police and Secret Service.

Can I use these logos in my mod or should I edit them a bit so they will be just similar but not the same as the reals?

I've attached a screenshot so you can understand better what I'm saying.

Thanks.

Government logos, shields and emblems are public domain - unless you profit (like in a movie) then you have to credit, perhaps pay a royalty fee.

So I can use it without any limits in my mod, right?

I wouldn't like to see some federals knocking at my door :D

Thank you ;)

While many government and police logos are public domain as far as copyright, some are registered trade marks and others have restrictions on using them governed by other laws (such as the United States Code). I would suggest that one should be very careful using any logo or visual identifier of any police or government agency unless they have searched thoroughly or gained legal advice to determine if use of the logo is permitted without restriction or authorization.