Using Assets from Other .esp in my Own

Mattiewagg

I was wondering how I would use the assets from one .esp in my own. For example, if someone created a quest in A.esp, and I wanted to use the quest in B.esp (my own) without recreating B.esp, how would I do that?

I feel like I saw a tutorial on this on the forums, but I can't find it.

All the ones I found on Google were about using meshes and textures in my mod, but I don't want to do that. So how would I use assets from other .esps in my own (I want to use all the assets in the other mod).

Thank you.

The best presentation of the information is here. However, you have to be logged in to the Creation Kit wiki in order to actually read it

http://www.creationkit.com/Tutorial:_Using_third-party_mod_records

Another variation of the information perhaps not as complete nor as pretty can be found here

http://isharameradin.zxq.net/MakingAPlayerBasedMannequin.html#ESPparents

And the original variation can be found here

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/754151-tutorials-without-youtoob/page-2&do=findComment&comment=6035531

I have been told that there is a way to do it with TES5Edit but none have stepped forward with step by step instructions that I have found. Because of that I recommend the above linked process.

Thanks. I'll take a look at those and work it out.

EDIT: It looks like those tutorials are about making compatibility patches, which requires two .esps. I'm trying to merge the two .esps in question into one that contains the data from both of them. I might just be reading the tutorials wrong, so if I am, please correct me. Do you know how to merge the two .esps into one? Or am I just being stupid and not realizing that those tutorials are actually the solution :laugh:?

The one on the CK wiki is a bit unclear (again, it could just be me):

1. Locate the ESP file(s) in question
  2. Right click on each, select "esmify"
  3. Launch Creation Kit
  4. Select the ESP file(s) in question

Which ESP files are the ones in question? Would it be my .esp file, or the one I want to merge with it?

To be more specific to my situation, it's this:

I have a bunch of quests in MyMod.esp. Somebody made a level for me, and named it Cave.esp. I want to use the cave added in Cave.esp in MyMod.esp without having two separate .esps, instead merging them into one with the records of MyMod.esp and Cave.esp.

So would the tutorial on the CK Wiki tell me how to accomplish that? Because it looks like there would still be two .esps by the end of that tutorial. If you could explain the steps a bit more clearly for me, that would be really helpful. Sometimes I'm really thick.

Thank you so much for your help. Sorry if I'm just being dumb. (And I didn't mean for any of the above to come off as rude, if it did, sorry :smile:.)

With TES5Edit: Deep copy as override the records you need for the features desired. Add master when prompted. Remove master manually from the plugin header (NOTE: Zilav says this is bad, but it's the only way I know of to get the desired affect). Exit and save, then reload.

If you did things correctly and didn't have any conflicting FormIDs, you should have the records you copied existing separately in the plugin you copied them into, with references preserved.

You'll have to make sure the actual assets (scripts, textures, meshes, voice files) are all accessible to the new file afterwards. So extract them from BSAs if you plan on disabling the other ESP/s at any point, and make sure you package them with the new ESP if you plan on distribution (on the subject of distribution, you'd probably need permission from the mod author who created the records you're copying to publish your new ESP file on the Nexus).

-Mator

With TES5Edit: Deep copy as override the records you need for the features desired. Add master when prompted. Remove master manually from the plugin header (NOTE: Zilav says this is bad, but it's the only way I know of to get the desired affect). Exit and save, then reload.

If you did things correctly and didn't have any conflicting FormIDs, you should have the records you copied existing separately in the plugin you copied them into, with references preserved.

You'll have to make sure the actual assets (scripts, textures, meshes, voice files) are all accessible to the new file afterwards. So extract them from BSAs if you plan on disabling the other ESP/s at any point, and make sure you package them with the new ESP if you plan on distribution (on the subject of distribution, you'd probably need permission from the mod author who created the records you're copying to publish your new ESP file on the Nexus).

-Mator

Thanks. I'll try that.

EDIT: It worked perfectly.

Thank you for your help.

Your initial post did not state that you wanted to MERGE two plugins. You stated that you wanted to USE assets from one in the other. The instructions I linked were for that purpose.

For merging use TES5Edit, it is the best tool for the job.

If you really want to try the CK...

1. Load both plugins but do not "esmify" the source ESP. The target esp must be the "active" esp.

2. Duplicate all source records

3. Save and exit. This stores the duplicate records into the target esp

4. Reload with only the target esp active

5. Go through every record and ensure all links to other records are correct, reassign property variables as needed.

How do I delete the master from the plugin header?

In TES5Edit

1. Load the plugin

2. Select File Header on the left pane

3. On the right pane, right click on the Master File above the master you wish to remove.

4. Select Remove option

Your initial post did not state that you wanted to MERGE two plugins. You stated that you wanted to USE assets from one in the other. The instructions I linked were for that purpose.

For merging use TES5Edit, it is the best tool for the job.

If you really want to try the CK...

1. Load both plugins but do not "esmify" the source ESP. The target esp must be the "active" esp.

2. Duplicate all source records

3. Save and exit. This stores the duplicate records into the target esp

4. Reload with only the target esp active

5. Go through every record and ensure all links to other records are correct, reassign property variables as needed.

How do I delete the master from the plugin header?

In TES5Edit

1. Load the plugin

2. Select File Header on the left pane

3. On the right pane, right click on the Master File above the master you wish to remove.

4. Select Remove option

Yes, I did phrase that badly in my original post.

I ended up using the tes5edit method which worked perfectly. I also meant to edit the post about not being able to remove the master since I fixed it.

Thank you both.

• 4 years later...

So, in my case- I'm making a couple cities from TES Arena into Skyrim. I want to use textures from other mods, but I don't want anyone downloading my mod to require them to get the desired effect. I know other modders use other modding assets to make their mods- but I don't need to download them. They're included. A good example is I want to use the Sexy Whiterun retexture in Creation Kit so I can use the blue-roofed buildings to build my city. However, I don't want the mod active because I don't want Whiterun changed- I just want to use those assets. How do I do that?

So, in my case- I'm making a couple cities from TES Arena into Skyrim. I want to use textures from other mods, but I don't want anyone downloading my mod to require them to get the desired effect. I know other modders use other modding assets to make their mods- but I don't need to download them. They're included. A good example is I want to use the Sexy Whiterun retexture in Creation Kit so I can use the blue-roofed buildings to build my city. However, I don't want the mod active because I don't want Whiterun changed- I just want to use those assets. How do I do that?

First step is to make sure you have permission to use those assets. Otherwise all the work you do will be for yourself only. After that, you need to download the mod that has the assets you wish to use. If they are loose files, that makes things easier. Otherwise, extract the contents of the BSA file (preferably outside of the game's data folder). Locate the desired meshes (NIF files) and / or textures (DDS files). Copy them to your mod workspace within the game's data folder. Create the records needed to utilize those assets.

This method uses the assets without others needing to download the source mod.

Aweso

First step is to make sure you have permission to use those assets. Otherwise all the work you do will be for yourself only. After that, you need to download the mod that has the assets you wish to use. If they are loose files, that makes things easier. Otherwise, extract the contents of the BSA file (preferably outside of the game's data folder). Locate the desired meshes (NIF files) and / or textures (DDS files). Copy them to your mod workspace within the game's data folder. Create the records needed to utilize those assets.

This method uses the assets without others needing to download the source mod.

Great! One clarification though. Where is the mod workspace? Like in Creation Kit or what? Is there a folder in data for creation kit and what records would I create?