C Cleaner from piriform + SKSE

Ubertwelve

i use Ccleaner from piriform (what it is = http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) its essentially a cleaning tool that has a function to check the registry for errors.

ive used it for years and have grown to trust it, however after playing skyrim (with skse installed) and running Ccleaner it shows errors in my registry with the extension .skse .bsa .bak (think .bak are from tes5edit maybe)

what it says:

the file extension Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.skse references an invalid program identifier. These are often left behind after uninstalling software.

solution: delete the registry value

these 'errors' appear everytime i play, ive tried deleting them and just leaving them as they are for a while, it seems to make no difference, im just wondering whats up with that?

its just a file extension that has no program associated with it, since SKSE does not open them itself but uses them, just ignore it.

I have been using ccleaner for years and have never seen a problem involving SKSE or any of the other script extenders. Often when you do a reinstall, especially if you don't reinstall in exactly the same place, new registry entries are created without removing the old ones. The old ones are now orphaned - and no longer are associated with the program. It is usually safe to remove these. If a registry entry is not associated with a program, the program cannot see that entry anyway.

• 2 months later...

i think something funky was going on with skse, somehow ive managed to stop the registry errors and also i can play for hours again without ctd's. yay.

it was either uninstalling some mods that were giving me issues (ko overhaul + moreHUD), or updating skse to 1.7.1 (prolly the latter) that seemed to have fixed it.