Cannot install mods with FOMM anymore- Tried everything I can think of

I just purchased Fallout 3 GOTY and Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition during the summer sale.

I installed them, downloaded several (Probably more than I should've) mods, and installed them using FOMM and everything went perfectly fine, and I happily gallivanted across the Mojave wasteland for a while.

Then I found a different manager called Mod Organizer, installed that, and was delighted at some of the features it had, but I still went back to FOMM because it can install UI mods and such.

Only problem is, whenever I try to activate a mod after adding it, I get an error message telling me that

"A problem occurred during install:
The file exists

The mod was not installed"

I've tried uninstalling New Vegas and reinstalling, clearing the documents folder for New Vegas, removing FOMM and reinstalling, clearing out every directory I could find that referenced a mod manager for Fallout, running FOMM as admin, setting the install info and mods folder to all sorts of places such as the game folder itself, C:\Games, desktop, etc... and it always gives me the same error, no matter what I try to install.

I thought I might have somehow messed up my mod files, and downloaded a mod I'd never used before, on completely unmodded (Save for NVSE, which FOMM recognizes perfectly easily) New Vegas and no luck, The file exists, the mod was not installed.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I'm at my wit's end.

EDIT: I've traced the problem to FOMODs. Using NMM and the aforementioned Mod Organizer, they could install all my non-fomod mods perfectly fine, but when I tried to load them with a fomod (Project Nevada), the file exists, the mod was not installed. I know FOMM makes a fomod out of every mod one loads into it and uses those, so that would explain that, but what I don't get is why fomods won't install. I can just change the file to a zip or rar, but the fomod folder inside the file remains, and gives me the now dreaded error message. When I remove the fomod folder the mod installs perfectly, but I can't tell if this has broken anything crucial that the fomod folder contained.

Somebody with some technical experience or just an idea of how the data structure and such works, please help! I don't know how the scripting of fomods works or anything like that!

EDIT 2: And, I've traced it to the script.cs in fomods, as I just successfully installed one that lacked it by default with no issues whatsoever. But now I'm utterly perplexed by this script.cs file. Is it essential to the install process for something like, say, Project Nevada? Or is it just a convenience and mod managers can live without it? Or is there any advice someone could give me on the matter? This is only a recent problem.

Edited by ABurningSky
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem with FOMM. I managed to fix it by deleting all of the files in the Windows temporary files directory. Possibly FOMM unzips the fomod directory there and was choking when the intended destination already existed?

Anyway, the directory is at (in Windows 8, at least)

c:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Temp

The stuff in there might be in use by running programs, so to be safe you might want to do a clean reboot (or even be in Safe Mode), delete the files, then reboot again. I haven't had any trouble after deleting these files, though (and it cleaned up several gigs of space!).

• Like 1

I had the same problem with FOMM. I managed to fix it by deleting all of the files in the Windows temporary files directory. Possibly FOMM unzips the fomod directory there and was choking when the intended destination already existed?

Anyway, the directory is at (in Windows 8, at least)

c:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Temp

The stuff in there might be in use by running programs, so to be safe you might want to do a clean reboot (or even be in Safe Mode), delete the files, then reboot again. I haven't had any trouble after deleting these files, though (and it cleaned up several gigs of space!).

My god, that actually worked! You're a life saver!

And I freed up 36GB while I was at it!

You have some serious gratitude from me, oodles of it.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

i couldnt delete half the stuff in it, is that normal?

Yes, that basically means your computer is currently using those files at the moment. I'd wager if you restarted and tried to delete them you'd see a considerable amount freed up for deletion.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Guys, I have a problem with FOMMOD too. So the thing is, FOMMOD went well the first time I used it. Installed lotsa things too. Then I play FNV. After that, it seemed that I can't install any more mods, for some reasons. Here's the crashdump:

Thursday, 13 August, 2015 - 10:16:20 PM
Fomm 0.13.21
OS version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7600.0
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'D:\FNV\FNVG\Fallout New Vegas - Ultimate Edition\Install Info\load order backup.txt' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path)
at Fomm.MainForm.exportLoadOrder(String path)
at Fomm.MainForm.MainForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
HELP PLEASE

• 2 years later...

Guys, I have a problem with FOMMOD too. So the thing is, FOMMOD went well the first time I used it. Installed lotsa things too. Then I play FNV. After that, it seemed that I can't install any more mods, for some reasons. Here's the crashdump:

Thursday, 13 August, 2015 - 10:16:20 PM
Fomm 0.13.21
OS version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7600.0
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'D:\FNV\FNVG\Fallout New Vegas - Ultimate Edition\Install Info\load order backup.txt' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path)
at Fomm.MainForm.exportLoadOrder(String path)
at Fomm.MainForm.MainForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
HELP PLEASE

Grab lock hunter i use it when i have that same problem good luck i randomly seen this when looking for my own help and figured id offer what help ive been givin in the past

• 3 months later...