With all the years that this game has been out, I would have hoped there was some kind of mod released that simply disables (or otherwise prevents enemies from using) the ability "overwhelm," but thus far I've been unable to find one.

Does anyone know of a mod that does this?

The reason being, I've started playing DA:O on Nightmare as a solo character--it's a lot of fun if you like a challenge! ...and I'm running into the same problem that many other people on the internet apparently have had, which is that Overwhelm (and similar moves like the ogre's and dragon's Grab) basically means instant death, as they ignore defense, stun you for a long time, and deal a ton of damage. Not only that but multiple overwhelm-capable enemies (e.g. a pack of wolves) can chain-overwhelm you one after the other and completely lock you out of the game.

So, unless you're playing arcane warrior (which makes even a Nightmare solo run feel easy), when you're rolling solo and you're in a fight against spiders, wolves, bears, shrieks, drakes, dragons, etc. you basically have to pray they don't ever use overwhelm. If they don't, you have a chance at winning...if they do, you mind as well reload an earlier save.

Overwhelm and its relatives don't add difficulty to a Nightmare solo run, they just add annoyance. There's nothing you can do to prevent it from happening other than pray all your foes decide not to use it, and if they DO use it, you simply have to keep reloading saves until they miraculously decide not to.

Is there anything out there that can do this?

Easy... Always have lots of health!

Start with lots (which if you're doing a solo run on Nightmare you'd better have anyway) and drink a potion after taking ANY damage in those situations. I've survived the High Dragon's grab as a Rogue, so I know this works.

Beyond that, I'd say that this is just one of the risks you are choosing to take when you confront those foes without help.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There USED to be a mod called "Overwhelm Fix" filenamed "bowm" which I downloaded here at the nexus a Loooong time ago which took care of this problem. I have searched, searched, and searched again, and cannot locate the mod again tho :(

the mod contains two files- monster_talent_overwhelm.nss and monster_talent_overwhelm.ncs which are a pair of scripting files.

I've taken a look at the original files in the toolcrap, but I am afraid that I can't make heads nor tails of the references.

I'm not sure of the current rules regarding reposting/distributing script mods that aren't here on the nexus anymore. And would like to hear back on from Thandal on that before I offer to post the updated codes.

One may not upload anything to the Nexus without the expressed permission of the author/copyright holder. Period. :armscrossed:

We (you and I) have no idea why the file was removed, and "It used to be here" does not make it alright to upload it again.