Can't seem to get mods to work? (Mac - Legal)

jamesissavoy

Hello everyone, I hope you're all having a good day or night.

After a long hiatus from Skyrim I've decided to return to it. However I've begun to mod for the first time - the trouble is I'm playing Skyrim on my Mac.

Before you accuse me of piracy I would like to let you know that I am running Skyrim on my Mac through a "Cider"; not an emulator per se, but it allows for the running of Windows games by essentially packing the files into a Mac application. My Skyrim is exactly this, my Windows version of Skyrim packed onto a application openable on Mac. Reason for this being I no longer have my Windows computer.

I've had success with installing and loading a few mods, however can't seem to get others to work. For those unfamiliar, installing mods on Mac requires manual installation (placing files into the data folder), and I'm guessing this is where things can go wrong. For reference, here's all my mods from plugins.txt:

Skyrim.esm

Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
AdalMatar.esp
ScopedBows.esp
SamuraiArmor.esp
Pureweather.esp
loners_sword.esp
Lore Weapon Expansion.esp
Insanity’s Steel Bow.esp
Insanity’s Sorrow.esp
ImmersiveWeapons.esp
Immersive Patrols II.esp
HBetterBows.esp
Dr_Bandolier.esp
dovahkiinrelax.esp
Chesko_frostfall.esp
Out of all these installed, only the following mods work: Dr_Bandolier.esp, SamuraiArmor.esp, Chesko_Frostfall.esp, and HBetterBows.esp. I know I'm missing the update.esm, but that doesn't seem to explain why even the armour mods don't work or why Samurai Armour does? I basically need an answer as to whether I can get them to work somehow or if it won't work at all.

I appreciate any time taken to read and answer. Thank you.
Edited by jamesissavoy

Is update.esm just not on your list and you have it on your computer?

If someone checks off that file as a master when they make their mod you WILL need it.

And sometimes it is just checked off as a matter of habit even if the content isn't really needed.

Edited by ryanshowseason2

Is update.esm just not on your list and you have it on your computer?

If someone checks off that file as a master when they make their mod you WILL need it.

And sometimes it is just checked off as a matter of habit even if the content isn't really needed.

Sadly I don't have it because having a Mac version means I cannot update my game via Steam. I would have to reopen my windows game, update it, and then repack it into a Mac application. I can't do the latter because I no longer have a Windows computer. I found out about updates as a requirement but none of the mods on my list explicitly state it as a need for the mod to work.

Since yesterday I've been able to get two more mods to work, both armour mods. Funnily enough, all three armour mods I have come from hothtrooper44 - I haven't yet tried any other armour mods. Because of this I thought I would be able to install weapon mods as they don't seem to require any base game items (or do they?), but this hasn't worked. One weapon mod which did work (Loner's Sword) appeared invisible in them game; funny for a few minutes but ultimately pointless.

While cider may allow you to play the game, it may not have the capability to mod the game - as it is still not windows but an imitation ( got to call it something as the community gets upset when I call it an emulator :pinch:) Somehow it does the same thing as an emulator without being an emulator. But, whatever you want to call it Cider is trying to do what windows does, and is actually doing a very good job of it as far as it goes. Each iteration is a bit better at imitating what windows does. Maybe eventually they will get to the point where it no longer matters - but they are just not there yet.

The MAC is now - hardware wise, the same as a PC. You can actually run Windows on it instead of - or alongside of IOS. :tongue:

There are legitimate ways to actually run real windows on a MAC. One is Boot Camp. It just works. And will work with Steam as well as anything else that windows does. No special 'wrappers' required for any windows program.

Playing with operating systems can be enjoyable for some people. I used to do it myself, and still play around with various Linux distributions. If all you want is to be able to play a windows game - or run some other windows program without the frustration just get Bootcamp and a legitimate copy of Windows and play the game. :thumbsup:

While cider may allow you to play the game, it may not have the capability to mod the game - as it is still not windows but an imitation ( got to call it something as the community gets upset when I call it an emulator :pinch:) Somehow it does the same thing as an emulator without being an emulator. But, whatever you want to call it Cider is trying to do what windows does, and is actually doing a very good job of it as far as it goes. Each iteration is a bit better at imitating what windows does. Maybe eventually they will get to the point where it no longer matters - but they are just not there yet.

The MAC is now - hardware wise, the same as a PC. You can actually run Windows on it instead of - or alongside of IOS. :tongue:

There are legitimate ways to actually run real windows on a MAC. One is Boot Camp. It just works. And will work with Steam as well as anything else that windows does. No special 'wrappers' required for any windows program.

Playing with operating systems can be enjoyable for some people. I used to do it myself, and still play around with various Linux distributions. If all you want is to be able to play a windows game - or run some other windows program without the frustration just get Bootcamp and a legitimate copy of Windows and play the game. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply Ben!

I've considered getting bootcamp before, but along with its price tag and the fact that I'm not a serious gamer, I haven't yet made the move to purchase it. Maybe one day I will, but I'm actually thinking about making the move back to a Windows PC until Mac properly establishes itself in the gaming community. I didn't know about it being an actual emulator - some Mac forums I'd visited prior to creating the Cider said it wasn't.

Will bootcamp slow down my computer?

Also, I was wondering if this basically means I will not be able to run some mods and that's that?

Pretty much. Cider is getting better all the time, so go back and check new iterations from time to time. There are dedicated websites for using cider also. Maybe one of those has a patch that will work with certain popular mods that will also allow some less popular mods to work also. :thumbsup: