One week on

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 21,505 posts
right http://www.tesnexus.com/imageshare/images/thumbnails/1-1269261397.png[/img]It's now been a week since I updated all the sites to the new version that I'm dubbing version 1.10 rather than 2.0. Looking over the upgrade process itself, the server log and load logs, error reports and such I can gratefuly deduce that the upgrade was a resounding success from my perspective.

At the forefront of the success is improved server performance that has come from completely recoding how the sites interact with the forums to access member and post data. The way the Nexus sites retain their login information is by using the forum database as the central link between them all. When you register on the Nexus sites you're actually just registering on our forums. When you're logging in you're just querying the forum database for your details. File comments are actually just posts made in the forum; so when you comment on files and images you're actually unwittingly posting on our forums. This lnk between the sites and the forums means your member details are retained across all the sites. It's very handy!

Originally the link between the forums and the sites was made via a publically available SDK made by community members of the forum software. It was an open source project that contained hundreds and hundreds of functions for integrating IPB forums in to websites and it was great for what I needed. However like a lot of off-the-shelf packages it contained a lot of bloat that I just had no need for. The main SDK file that every page called was over 200kb big. I've now moved away from the SDK and coded my own functions, simplying the processes and reducing the file overhead considerably to just 14kb. Nexus sites are a bit unique in that all the sites are on seperate servers and communicate over a private back-end network and the IPB SDK I was using wasn't made for this special setup. The private network was constantly using 100mbit/s of bandwidth as it sent forum details backwards and forwards between the servers that caused a lot of overhead on all the servers as they dealt with these high bandwidth loads while your page was being processed. My upgrade has now reduced this bandwidth to just 1.5mbit/s, so almost 100 times better. (See the image for an example. Spot when the upgrade happened!).

Similarly the makers of the forum software, Invision Power, had updated their software from 2.3.6 to a whole new version, 3.0.5, and announced that they were no longer supporting version 2.x. That means if any security holes were found in 2.x Invision Power weren't under obligation to patch it which leaves all the sites wide open to attack. The forums were upgraded along with the sites and while it takes a bit of getting used to it's for the best in the long run.

Improving the server perfomance paves the way for a number of new features and upgrades to various functions on the site over the coming months that I've had planned for yonks now. You can all look forward to that now.

Pronam

Pronam

• Premium Member
  • 4,069 posts
Wow, that's a huge difference. And yes, everything is much, much faster. First there were delays when editing or creating posts, it's just a matter of a second or less now. The same is for the navigation.

As always, keep up the great work.

Pushkatu

Pushkatu

Outlander

• Premium Member
  • 21,622 posts
I must say the new version got me to. Not only that it looks better and modern, but with some tweaks I made it's more practicable than the old one. Like I said, take a break man! :)

julesL3

julesL3

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Fantastic! Thank you and congrats. <3

HugePinball

HugePinball

It's an anagram...

• Premium Member
  • 975 posts
RRDTool rocks!

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 21,505 posts
I use Cacti :)

Burmecian

Burmecian

Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
you're amazing ^^
good job on optimizing it

Argomirr

Argomirr

Trademarkedô

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Ha ha, that's an excellent example of what inefficient code can do.

You did an outstanding job optimizing it. :thumbsup:

Zaldir

Zaldir

• Moderators
  • 12,760 posts
You've done a great job Dark0ne! :D

I really like the new look on the forums, and the speed on all sites is much better than before. (And that says a lot, since they were already pretty fast before too...)

Btw, any chance you'll make the actual sites look more like the new forum? Like changing the grey color to look more like the forum grey color... And perhaps make corners on boxes smooth like on the forum? It's just that I love the new forum so much now! :D

Again, great job! :)

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 21,505 posts
I've got no plans to upgrade the site skin anytime soon. Website design has never been my forte!

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.041 seconds