Long War for Mac OS/X - pointers / advice?

thither

Well, good news and bad news. I copied *.int from app/XComGame/Localization/INT in the installer to XCOM Enemy Unknown.app/Contents/Resources/MacOverrides/XEW in the installed game, and the game options now appear correct (I see "not so long war" in the second wave options, and there's no beginner difficulty any more). Also, starting a new game I notice that there are just four operatives in the dropship and they are in white armor, which seems to comport with how I remember the mod starting on Windows.

The bad news: when I hit "Launch Mission" for the first mission, the game just hangs with a black screen. It's not completely frozen, the mouse moves and I can just regular-quit it from the taskbar instead of needing to force quit, but no actual mission seems to appear.

I've also noticed that the game pretty reliably crashes at startup on every other launch now. Like, I start it, quit to desktop from the main menu, start it again, and it crashes. If I restart after the crash I get the "report error" dialog box, cancel, and the game starts normally.

I'm going to try validating the files and starting over from scratch to see if I can improve the stability that way.

Edited by thither

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, starting a new game I notice that there are just four operatives in the dropship and they are in white armor, which seems to comport with how I remember the mod starting on Windows.

Nope, should be six in red. Work on putting your ini files in the right place next.

guys, I Been trying all day but am stuck with

rm CookedPCConsole/XCom{,Strategy}Game.upk.uncompressed_size

For this step you've got to delete these two files from your installation directory (under SteamApps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/XCOMData/XEW/XComGame/CookedPCConsole):

XComGame.upk.uncompressed_size

XComStrategyGame.upk.uncompressed_size

They're supposed to be a file protection mechanism to stop you from fiddling with the files, but if they aren't present the game just ignores the check.

Thither: I don't get that issue. Maybe check that steam didn't overwrite the ini files?

diff ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/XCOMData/XEW/XComGame/Config/DefaultGame.ini ~/Downloads/app/XComGame/Config/DefaultGame.ini

diff --git 1/Users/jlach/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/XCOMData/XEW/XComGame/Config/DefaultGame.ini 2/Users/jlach/Downloads/app/XComGame/Config/DefaultGame.ini
old mode 100755
new mode 100644

Adjust paths as necessary, obviously. If the files differ, try disabling automatic update in steam and re-doing the LW install.

Edited by Anderkent

talk to soon http://i60.tinypic.com/ig9mw7.png

the green screen is frozen, but the blue is is actually working, any idea?

Update: I switch to screen mode, it worked for a moment and then the game crash

Edited by Argusnox

talk to soon http://i60.tinypic.com/ig9mw7.png

the green screen is frozen, but the blue is is actually working, any idea?

Update: I switch to screen mode, it worked for a moment and then the game crash

Yeah, this is the same thing I was seeing. No idea what might be causing it.

Hey, can anyone tell me where to find the game logs?