Long War for Mac OS/X - pointers / advice?

thither

I have no idea what you were trying to do either :smile:

Step 3 is the directory change to the installation directory (eqv to the double clicking of a folder on the Mac)

cd /Users/noah/Downloads/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0-4

You should be able to just copy the above line and paste it into your Terminal window.

Step 4 is the running of the install script and that happens by entering

./install-LW-OSX.sh

Again, copy the above line and paste it into your Terminal window.

edited to add: when copying the whole line, include the starting "."

Edited by eleve2

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when I do that, I get this, which I tried before doing what I showed you:

PinotGris:~ noah$ /Users/noah/Downloads/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0-4

-bash: /Users/noah/Downloads/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0-4: is a directory

So I don't know.
On second thought, I derped the entry line.
And, when I enter up to step 4 correctly, I get this again:
PinotGris:~ noah$ cd /Users/noah/Downloads/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0-4

PinotGris:LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0-4 noah$ ./install-LW-OSX.sh

-bash: ./install-LW-OSX.sh: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: Operation not permitted

PinotGris:LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0-4 noah$

is it possible that the OS I'm using is not compatible with the installer script? I'm using OS 10.14.1

Edited by worldsoul15

No, your OS is quite compatible with the script. None of the errors you have experienced has anything to do with incompatibilities :smile:

The latest error (and probably the very first error as well) happened because the script doesn't have the necessary privileges to run and do what it's meant to do.

I think in your case here, the easiest way to get the script to run would be to run it as superuser with "sudo".

sudo ./install-LW-OSX.sh

As usual, copy and paste the above line.

The terminal app will then ask for your Mac account password. Put it in and confirm with Enter.

Btw. there are good instructions to be found at http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Basic_Guide_to_installing_mods

Depending on your installation (Steam, App Store, other), the paths/directories may be different to what is defined in the script. In these cases, the script will ask you to enter the proper paths/directories so it will help to know these beforehand. You can have a Finder window open on the side so you can drag the needed directory into the Terminal window when it asks (just as you did for the "cd").

the following 2 directories are the ones it will def. ask for if it can't find them (copied from the script) and are copied here just for information.

USERFILES=~/Library/Application\ Support/Feral\ Interactive/XCOM\ Enemy\ Unknown/XEW
INSTALLDIR=~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown

So, after obtaining sudo privileges and attempting the entire process again, I get this message:

PinotGris:LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0-4 noah$ sudo ./install-LW-OSX.sh

sudo: unable to execute ./install-LW-OSX.sh: Operation not permitted

EDIT: After obtaining Admin privilege and using xattr -d com.apple.quarantine on the install file, I have successfully downloaded Long War!

Edited by worldsoul15

• 2 weeks later...

So, after obtaining sudo privileges and attempting the entire process again, I get this message:

PinotGris:LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0-4 noah$ sudo ./install-LW-OSX.sh

EDIT: After obtaining Admin privilege and using xattr -d com.apple.quarantine on the install file, I have successfully downloaded Long War!

Hey there,

I'm on exactly the same issue you had where it says:

Ebonys-MacBook-Air:LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0 ebonybowers$ sudo ./install-LW-OSX.sh

Password:

Ebonys-MacBook-Air:LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0 ebonybowers$

I can see you've put in the edit how you fixed this but I have no idea how to key this in on terminal. Is there any chance you, or anyone else, could send me the bit of text you used to get past this part?

Thanks

Here a fairly good explanation of what xattr is and does: https://www.real-world-systems.com/docs/xattr.1.html

Before you blindly follow instructions on how to set/reset extended attributes, you should at the very least check whether this is the problem you are experiencing.

So, after step 3 above (switching to the directory), enter the following and check the result for the install file:

eves MacPro:LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0 eve$ ls -l
total 96
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 eve  admin  8496 Jun 19  2015 install-LW-OSX.sh

If the "@" sign shows up like in the example given at the xattr explanation, continue with the next steps. If it doesn't show up then something else is wrong and changing the extended attributes won't do a thing for you.

So, you should be able to just copy what worldsoul15 posted:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine <install file>

replacing <install file> with the name of the installation file (the file ending in .sh for OS X, in this case here install-LW-OSX.sh).

• 2 years later...

From what I've heard an update to gnome shell has broken a few things and I end up with this problem:

~/Downloads/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0$ sh ./install-LW.sh /path/to/XEW/userfiles ~/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/xew
Installing Long War for XCOM:EW, please, be patient...
./install-LW.sh: 30: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Edit: I also am running this in my advanced launch options just to get vanilla working "LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/binaries/linux/x86_64/:$HOME/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/" %command%"

Never mind fixed it

Edited by javahairdude