More than 3 active companions

samidiedo

Hello,

The title of this topic pretty much gives itself away.

I've always felt that 3 companions were hardly enough, hell back when I was playing baldur's gate in the days, I had trouble settling for 5 companions!

First of all, I never considered dog to be a real companion. he is a dog, and should in my oppinion really just follow the player around.

Second of all, many of the companions don't seem like they would be content just sitting around in the party camp.

Third of all, the warden faces hordes of enemies... 9 companions isn't really that much when you think it through. It's actually quite a small group.

strategically, setting a pary of just 4 up is kind of hard to do right. The mage has to be a good healer, a rogue is a must and atleast two are required on the front lines, but what about archers? What about specializing a mage as healer and another as dammage dealer? There is simply no room for this, because of the 3 active companion cap.

If someone could make a mod that allows for more party members, I'd be a very happy person! Perferebly allowing all party members to be active at the same time!

- ST

this has been requested, many times. Not only here, but also on social.bioware, and some of the other game modding sites.

I hate to give bad news. But with the number of requests that a mod like this has had, it would have been done by now, if anybody had figured out how to do it. So far, nobody has gotten it to work.

right now, the only thing even close to adding an extra member to the party is extra dog slot. http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=664

as for always needing a rogue in the party, check out dragon age mutator. http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=166

its a program that has several mods thrown together into one bundle. one of them being the ability for anybody to unlock locked containers. which lessens the need to have the rogue always around. (note tho that you won't be able to scroll thru the list of options in mutator, unless you have the game running. REALLY odd that, but hey....)

Thanks a lot for the links, this is truely more than I had hoped for!

I just took a look at how this "extra dog" mod functioned, and while I am no modder myself, I fail to see how this mod would only work with the dog? Shouldn't it be possible to make use of the summon slots in general? The ranger spec. will get kinda useless, but who cares... Summoned Sten > summoned wolf anyways. All pary members have these summon slots, correct? So it should be possible no?

I'll take a look at the mutator aswell.

No problem, glad to help out when I can :smile:

About the dog whistle/extra dog slot. Yeah, I know. That mod has been out long enough that I would think that somebody would have figured out something like that, based off that mod.

I was thinking about that, even after I posted a reply to you. To have it as a skill that any of the characters can be given. That way, the player can summon a npc, such as say, Morrigan. Morrigan could summon Sten, Sten could summon Shale, Shale could summon the dog, (or just whoever, throwing out names randomly, lol. Not meaning that they would be limited to being able to summon just that one person in particular). and that would be a method to fill out the party.

I've had a LOT of ideas, based off the concept of that mod. Such as summoned Mini-pets such as you can have in games like Talisman Online. Or checking out the new Cat pet mod to see if that could be altered to create something that would add a fighter, mage, or rogue NPC.

OH! I forgot one. This one is a mod that lets party members (player included) learn talents and skills that are outside of their class range. Such as warriors/rogues using magic, mages using templar skills, mages using two handed attacks, etc. http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=174 All can learn.

This would help you to flesh out your party more, without needing more actual bodies.

It doesnt however, overcome some of the game's class limitations. Especially concerning rogue abilities. For instance, I can learn level 4 disarm trap. But every time my warrior tries to do it, it will not successfully d/a the trap. And only had limited success with lvl 4 stealth. Such as I can walk around stealthed and they wont see me, but as soon as I do an actual action, the enemies see me.

So there's a few abilities (mostly rogue) that dont work correctly, and I dont think thats the mod's fault, more of a game mechanic.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With the cheat runscript zz_addparty companionname it goes. But every new location it has to be retyped. (Console must be enabled)

I havn't tested that cheat myself yet, but... Assuming that it does add the companions and make them take part in the conversations, shouldn't it be possible to make some kind of script that runs through that cheat each time you enter a new area automatically? Of course, when it comes to scripts I'm just a noob myself, which is why I ask.

@amycus;

Unfortunately, using the "zz_addparty" script does NOT make the additional NPCs true Companions. They will appear "on-screen", and interact with enemies, but that's it. No portraits, (so no Health or Mana/Stamina meters) and you won't be able to speak to them, or direct their actions beyond designating a target or a destination for their movements. That means you can't tell them to take potions either, so you better have a good Healer as a true Companion! The other Party Members will not acknowledge their presence at all, (so no banter) and their tactics will be whatever you had established for them when they were regular Party Members (or the defaults, if you hadn't ever changed them.) Oh, and their equipment may become a vanilla set as well, depending on the specifc NPC's status at the time you conjure them into the game. :(

As you may be able to tell, I've tried this method. I found it very unsatisfying except for one specifc work-around. I developed it for another player who wanted to reject Morrigan's offer, but not lose either Alistair or her Warden. (I call it the "Kobyashi Maru Solution". :P )