Tutorial: Custom Weapon - Blender to Skyrim using blender 2.71

BlazeLeeDragon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm sorry if this is a noob question but how exactly do you make the texture files? I've looked all over the internet but I can't find any tutorial or anything that even explains this process. So I would really appreciate it if you could help me.

I'm sorry if this is a noob question but how exactly do you make the texture files? I've looked all over the internet but I can't find any tutorial or anything that even explains this process. So I would really appreciate it if you could help me.

I'm a noob at 3d modeling and texturing myself. Just trying to teach myself how to make some basic weapons...

In short, it seems that most people take photos as a starting point and edit them in software like Photoshop or GIMP. What I'm trying to do ATM is this: I create the model in blender. I do the UV-unwrapping in Blender and export the UV map. I open this file in Photoshop, so I know where everything belongs. Then I load pictures into this file, tweak them, combine them... Finally, I export them to DDS and apply these textures with NifSKope.

I don't know, how much you already know about different types of textures and their use in Skyrim, but here's a comprehensive guide:

http://beyondskyrim.org/skyrim-nif-files-bsshadertextureset-and-textures/

I'd also recommend watching the video tutorials by Nightasy on youtube. He's got some very good videos. And he uses mostly GIMP, which is free. OFC he makes armors, but his tutorials also helped me a lot with my weapons.

I'm a noob at 3d modeling and texturing myself. Just trying to teach myself how to make some basic weapons...

In short, it seems that most people take photos as a starting point and edit them in software like Photoshop or GIMP. What I'm trying to do ATM is this: I create the model in blender. I do the UV-unwrapping in Blender and export the UV map. I open this file in Photoshop, so I know where everything belongs. Then I load pictures into this file, tweak them, combine them... Finally, I export them to DDS and apply these textures with NifSKope.

I don't know, how much you already know about different types of textures and their use in Skyrim, but here's a comprehensive guide:

http://beyondskyrim.org/skyrim-nif-files-bsshadertextureset-and-textures/

I'd also recommend watching the video tutorials by Nightasy on youtube. He's got some very good videos. And he uses mostly GIMP, which is free. OFC he makes armors, but his tutorials also helped me a lot with my weapons.

Wow, thanks! Really appreciate that you responded so quick, considering this thread is over two years old.

Glad I could be of some help. :cool:

Besides tutorials and the like, there's another thing I always found quite helpful. IMHO it's a bsic principle of modding. And it was the way we learned something in those wonderful days of Morrowind modding . We had almost no guides, no youtube, just some helpful guys in forums - and mods. So we looked at them in the Creation Kit, played around a bit, tried to understand, what the genius, who created the mod, did. This also works for 3D moddeling. Download something you like, look at it in every possible way - Nifskope, CK, photo editing software. Only yesterday I finally figured out how Bethesda created glow effects on weapons. Basically, I tore a daedric sword to pieces in Nifskope...

GL and have fun with your creations!