So I've been slowly easing my games into using LOOT over BOSS. I normally set my own load order in my games but every once in a while I have to bring out the big guns to help out. In FO3 it seems the BOSS and LOOT load order is vastly different. Honestly, looking at both lists, it seems the BOSS order is closer to what I would have set manually. However, I understand LOOT uses a much different method to sort the list. Considering FO3 is so old, should I trust LOOT with it? It's doing certain things like placing the Blackened patch for MMM/FWE/PR/EVE above the FWE dlc... and I can't see why that would make sense. Looking in fo3edit I realize a lot of changes are being reverted. I just want to know other's experience with FO3 + LOOT. Good? Bad? Don't care?

From what I have seen of load orders sorted by LOOT and posted here, LOOT makes a right hash out of your load order. I also have been setting my own load orders and after what I have seen, I would never use LOOT.

Well, BOSS relies on a masterlist, which is basically a huge load order of sorts listing all known plugins. This also means having to manually edit that list whenever someone submits plugins that aren't included yet. In the case of Skyrim it also means the submitter of a plugin or the BOSS team itself having to check plugins for dirty and/or wild edits. A rather labor-intensive procedure considering the amount of new mods released every day.

LOOT, from what I've heard, skips both of these steps by "scanning" plugins to see what the plugin does, then decides where to place it in one's load order.

Of course, since this is an automated procedure and LOOT is still quite new, it's no big surprise it screws up sometimes.

Don't have any experience with LOOT in combination with Fo3 myself though. Probably wouldn't use it anyway. I prefer my own judgment on plugin placement.

placing the Blackened patch for MMM/FWE/PR/EVE above the FWE dlc... and I can't see why that would make sense.

It doesn't. Especially since that means it also places it above MMM's plugins. (you do have MMM's plugins below FWE's plugins, right?)

Placing a patch above one or more of the mods it's intended to patch is about as useful as making a merged patch, then placing it all the way at the top of one's load order.

Oh yeah, there's no problem with my load order. I almost always manually place plugins then check fo3edit to see if it needs patching. I was just curious about the LOOT results. So far it seems to be getting a lot of praise in the Skyrim community so I figured I would test it out on my FO3 data dir. It seems to just jumble my FO3 load order though. Nothing makes any sense, the plugins are everywhere. It's like I accidentally hit the "Randomize Load Order" button (doesn't exist). Considering FO3 only has a few mods released per week now. Based on your responses I'll just leave LOOT alone and use my own judgement. Thanks guys.

Edited by akkalat85