SLI performing WORSE than single card.

AsaHerring

Duel x 8 is fine ..we are not yet saturating the PCi bus...less then one % difference...like .08..oh and MY bridge is also farthest back set...closest to the back of the card where the Video ports are...

when you run the game are both cards loading UP , what are you using to monitor IN game while playing ? I can see 3 ways...

1) My Keyboard :(G-15) shows EVGA's stats on LCD display.

2) Evga's stats on screen in game both cards displayed.

3) SPM (Skyrim Performance Monitor) can also be displayed on screen.

All while using an ENB, FULL. All can be toggled on and off....mostly OFF but i turn it on if i want to check things.

PIC

Have you tried the different SLI modes..?

Edited by camaro_69_327

I was not aware of this. So in the future if I want to run SLI I need to look for a mobo that supports two cards in 16x? Or is it one 16x and one 8x?

That is what I have noticed, but to my knowledge the only chipset the supports dual x16 for now is the x79.

An idea, but what PSU do you have? I ask because I have 2 GTX 660s in SLI (SLI is normally disabled, my 3d modeling program hates sli), and I used to have a 650-700watt PSU that needed an upgrade to power both cards. The PSU did not fail, but it kept shutting the PC off. I am guessing it was overloaded. I now have a 1KW PSU,and the old PSU works fine in a less demanding PC.

Duel x 8 is fine ..we are not yet saturating the PCi bus...less then one % difference...like .08..oh and MY bridge is also farthest back set...closest to the back of the card where the Video ports are...

when you run the game are both cards loading UP , what are you using to monitor IN game while playing ? I can see 3 ways...

1) My Keyboard :(G-15) shows EVGA's stats on LCD display.

2) Evga's stats on screen in game both cards displayed.

3) SPM (Skyrim Performance Monitor) can also be displayed on screen.

All while using an ENB, FULL. All can be toggled on and off....mostly OFF but i turn it on if i want to check things.

PIC

Have you tried the different SLI modes..?

I know someone that had two 7950 GX2s in SLI, and had this exact problem (different games) one card did the same or better then two.

The motheboard used was a 775 socket, and it limited both cards to 8x http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5ND2SLI/specifications/

Now the 7950GX2 was a dual GPU version of the 7950GT http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7950.html one of those cards had great performance for the time , but two of them was worse then one.

The point here that it maybe the number of pci lanes or for some reason the system cant keep up with what both cards need.

Edited by Guest

You could check if the Windows power plan is set to performance like it should be.

You can also try to overclock your cards by just 1% or 2% to see if this prevents the driver from scaling back the clock speed of the cards.

And what PSU do you have?