Staves / Scroll use grants skill experience!

Abraxastaroth

I would like to play a mage character who refuses to cast magic with her hands but instead casts only with scrolls and staves. Of course... this runs into the problem of it being nearly impossible (save for skill books and trainers) to level magic skills for her.

I did see some overly complicated re-configuring of the entire skill system mods out there that may add this effect for just staves...

but please... could anyone possibly make a simple mod that allows the use fo staves and scrolls to level the respective school of magic they're associated with?

It just seems natural to me that using magical tools would allow you to level those associated skils, no? It's sad that... so far... I've almost never used these tools in Skyrim (only looking at staves and scrolls as an easy source of gold when I sold them off).

Edited by Abraxastaroth

I've always wanted this as well. I settled for using SXP, a mod that makes leveling experience point-based. You get exp for completing quests and killing enemies (no matter how you or your followers kill them), and then you can use that exp on any skill you like. Probably less immersive than the do-it-to-improve-it system, but that's a small sacrifice for the sake of being able to play how you want without feeling like you're missing out on leveling up.

Yeah... I think that would count as "overly complicated re-configuring of the entire skill system mods" which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid resorting to.

I'm just wishing there were simple very specific targeted (and less likely to conflict with and bugger up other mods) that just adds a experience gain every time you use staves and scrolls.

I've seen specific mods like that which give smithing xp for smelting and alchemy xp for cooking. Why wouldn't a specific mod exist for giving magic xp for staves and scrolls...? It seems like something someone should already have made and put up at the Nexus... but alas... nope... *sigh*...

I got the game on the 360 when it came out in 2011 and have always gotten skill gains from using staves. Unless some moron patched that (Official or Unofficial) it should still work.

Scrolls, however, are a different story as far as I know.

Wait DrNewcenstein... if you play the xbox version why are you on a modding community? Can you even do modding on the xbox? And maybe the staves work differently on xbox but I'm certainly not getting any xp gains from using them on pc and never recall ever having gains from their use.

Also, Iofgren... if you could that would be awesome.

Edited by Abraxastaroth

• 4 years later...

Wait DrNewcenstein... if you play the xbox version why are you on a modding community? Can you even do modding on the xbox? And maybe the staves work differently on xbox but I'm certainly not getting any xp gains from using them on pc and never recall ever having gains from their use.

Also, Iofgren... if you could that would be awesome.

have you solve the problem ? i need to, i need exp for the scrolls..