Boomers/BoS/Desert Rangers expanded

Degby1

I would quite like to see a mod that expands the Boomers, BoS, and the Desert Rangers. I'm using the CAGE mod so for me the whole NCR-Legion war is done and I kicked both of them out of the Mojave (although obviously, they remain in CAGE which could be logical given that armies pull out of regions gradually).

I've seen the Boomers as the de facto U.S Air Force given that they were part of the Vault program and are staunch pro Second Amendment, so more patriotic than some random Wastelander who doesnt even refer to the U.S as America, referring to it as the local wasteland instead. They could be called in at will to air strike targets, perhaps incorperate a mission where you have to secure working Vertibirds and/or schematics.

The BoS are descendents of the U.S Army and act as the U.S Army in the Capital Wasteland, so I could see them playing a bigger role in Mojave after the NCR and Legion have pissed off. My playthrough and from what i've read in comments sections, the majority of players on here keep McNamara in charge instead of that Friar Tuck lookalike Hardin. A mission I can think of is them running patrols to run off Fiends and Powder Gangers and staking a claim to the Enclave Remnants bunker.

Desert Rangers prior to being absorbed by the NCR were local to the Mojave and Nevada region and also decend from U.S soldiers and survivalists who were based in the area at the time war kicked off. This group could roam the border and act as a de facto National Guard in the area, killing dangerous wildlife and fortifying settlements.

I see these 3 groups eventually working together, albeit very gradually to begin with. If these 3 did join forces it would be one of many steps to rebuilding the U.S. Given that Nevada is a fairly safe region compared to the D.C area, a plethora of missions, tasks could spawn from these 3 groups. I've always thought that the Couriers real story begun after the events of F:NV, regardless of who took over the region.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Desert Rangers don't exist anymore. You said it yourself: They merged with the NCR. So how can a non-existent group roam the border and act as a militia?

they still do exist. they joined with the NCR because the NCR had the resources to help them protect Nevada, the Rangers wouldnt leave with the NCR they would just drop the NCR flag and go back to protecting Nevada.

staking a claim to the Enclave Remnants bunker

this was a hidden bunker, i dont see how they would have found it.

The Desert Rangers don't exist anymore. You said it yourself: They merged with the NCR. So how can a non-existent group roam the border and act as a militia?

they still do exist. they joined with the NCR because the NCR had the resources to help them protect Nevada, the Rangers wouldnt leave with the NCR they would just drop the NCR flag and go back to protecting Nevada.

staking a claim to the Enclave Remnants bunker

this was a hidden bunker, i dont see how they would have found it.

My point exactly. Soon as NCR are done they would remain in the Mojave, given that California isnt their home.

As for the Enclave Bunker, my player joined the BoS so you could inform McNamara of the bunker who would then send you and a small squad to capture it

One, let me direct you to this thread..... http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/691109-an-independent-new-vegas-mod/ as it is basically the same as what you want.

Two, I am not sure how much the Mohave BoS could help. Since they have less than 100 members left in the Mohave. There has also been extensive talk by me and I think dangman4ever about this in the thread I linked above.

Edited by blaze1514

One, let me direct you to this thread..... http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/691109-an-independent-new-vegas-mod/ as it is basically the same as what you want.

To follow up on Blaze1514's post (since it's a big thread), most of the discussion he's referencing starts around page 131.

When your dealing with a fictitious universe your going to have a lot of varied opinions. Most of the time we can mine lore to sort of function as a guidepost, but viewpoints are still going to differ. In the case of the desert rangers there are some points that offer insight into their actions post end-game.

They'v been with the NCR for at least a decade and are tightly integrated into their military. They'v helped to train and serve along with NCR born and bred rangers. They have been on extensive missions outside of the Mojave (for instance Baja) in pursuit of NCR interests. For the last 10 years they have been protecting the NCRs 700,000+ citizens. They may even have friends and family in the NCR core and boarder regions by now.

Now I'm not saying that the Veteran Rangers are blindly enamored with the NCR (they'r not), but to assume all of them would suddenly dissolve their ties with the NCR and go back to wandering the wastes in small independent bands like the days of old would be naive. I think some certainly will, but some (possibly most) have strong ties they've built up over a decade, feel responsible for protecting nearly 3/4 a million souls, and see the NCR as one of the few democracies in the wasteland.

In addition the desert rangers were most needed when there was no law and order in the Mojave, and if you're purposing something along post endgame, some order will be imposed in the Mojave. Depending on how the second battle of Hoover dam goes, either the Legion, the NCR or a securitron army (house & independent) will have solidified control of the area and (at least theoretically provide) order. In some cases it will be a strong presence (legion or NCR), in others less so (House, possibly independent). But it won't return to the days of old, so the need for the rangers will be greatly reduced, as will the opportunity to return to a pre hoover war Mojave......times have moved on. With teh NCR holding the west coast and the Legion east of the Colorado, the old world of the desert rangers simply no longer exists.

So long story short, I think Dangman4ever's point is important/pertinent. The best choice, and IMHO the most realistic story line would include both points of view, some rangers returning to teh Mojave and some (in my opinion, most) rangers continuing to fight for the NCR and it's ideals.

So long story short, I think Dangman4ever's point is important/pertinent. The best choice, and IMHO the most realistic story line would include both points of view, some rangers returning to teh Mojave and some (in my opinion, most) rangers continuing to fight for the NCR and it's ideals.

my point was the desert rangers would stay because that's there home, the ones that were recruited out of the NCR would more than likely go home to California. the rangers families live in Nevada so i doubt they would be okay with up and leaving because the NCR screwed themselves in a deal gone wrong. i am not proposing that the Rangers wouldn't travel to California to say hi to the friends they made but i doubt they would just leave. also i could see them uniting into a singular group to protect Nevada. you have to remember the Courier (or House) only owns the Mojave not Nevada its self.

Two, I am not sure how much the Mohave BoS could help. Since they have less than 100 members left in the Mohave. There has also been extensive talk by me and I think dangman4ever about this in the thread I linked above.

there is no proof of how many still live though, i doubt its less than a hundred. maybe less than a hundred paladins and knights, but that's all speculative more than actual fact.

my point was the desert rangers would stay because that's there home, the ones that were recruited out of the NCR would more than likely go home to California.

Actually for over 10 years the NCR has been their home. The NCR isn't packing up their bags and moving out of Nevada any more than the Legion is.

the rangers families live in Nevada so i doubt they would be okay with up and leaving because the NCR screwed themselves in a deal gone wrong.

10 years ago they might have. Now some may, some may not. They became NCR citizens and as such that opens up the whole core and boarder regions for them. In addition most of the veteran ranges have been in Baja CA. I'd even venture to say that it's more likely their family would be close to them, rather than in no mans land (contested between NCR and Legion) in NV. Remember it's been 10+ years, and part of the reason the rangers joined the NCR is because it was going badly, very badly for them. The idea that they would keep their families in NV, 1. when they were away in CA, and 2. where they would be actively in danger from legion forces (remember that's the crux of the war), might seem a little far fetched.

i am not proposing that the Rangers wouldn't travel to California to say hi to the friends they made but i doubt they would just leave.

Huh? I seriously doubt that former rangers would travel to CA to "say hi to the friends" considering they'd be deserters from the NCR military.

also i could see them uniting into a singular group to protect Nevada.

Really? Since they weren't known to do so even when they were losing life and limb in the war with the Legion.

you have to remember the Courier (or House) only owns the Mojave not Nevada its self.

Incorrect the Courier (or House) doesn't own the Mojave, s/he rules over very specific locations in the Mojave, but by no means the whole Mojave desert. The majority of the Mojave desert is in CA. The same factions will still be in Nevada, and the same conflicts will continue. The Rangers (both veteran and non veteran), NCR military, Legion and others will continue to war. Any rangers that just take off from service before or after the withdrawal from new vegas and hoover dam are considered deserters.

The idea that the vetern rangers would desert, form into one group, then take up arms against the legion (which if you remember is why they joined the NCR in the first place, they weren't exactly winning), when they are facing a more formidable legion than 10 years ago (and without a NCR alliance) is some strange logic.

A far more sensible scenario would be most of the rangers staying with the NCR and trying to stem the Legion tide, with some (probably a small number) of veteran rangers possibly deserting, but probably not to return to their old life (that would be back to square one, with the legion, where they were loosing).

EDIT: ooops quotes were all jacked up

Edited by devinpatterson

okay i thought there was going to be a proper discussion here where we actually knew what we were talking about... but you dont seem to, and the OP doesnt seem interested in my opinion or point of view. im out.

&

okay i thought you knew FO lore... guess not

The information I posted is fallout lore, as cataloged by the wiki. Info on Baja, the timeline I discussed above is here, the info on the mojave is just common geography. Not sure why your butthurt, but it's all right there in black and white......

I'd suggest relaxing a bit. If someone points out that there is lore that contraindicates your position it's not a personal attack on you.