Is There A Pipboy Screensaver Mod Like In The Old Fallout Games?

Morgwynn

I think that it would be an awesome mod to have instead of the game pausing and the camera spinning around. I know I've brought up my Pipboy before and took off to make a snack and it would be cool to see the nuclear bombs falling across the screen when I came back. I have no idea if a mod like that is even possible but it would be a very cool addition to the game.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac330/Morgwynn/PipBoy2000Screensaver_zps44633309.png

I think that it would be an awesome mod to have instead of the game pausing and the camera spinning around. I know I've brought up my Pipboy before and took off to make a snack and it would be cool to see the nuclear bombs falling across the screen when I came back. I have no idea if a mod like that is even possible but it would be a very cool addition to the game.

Cool idea :wink:

I wasn't able to find anything on nexus under screen saver or any related search terms.

I think there could be two (possibly complimentary) ways to go about it. If your looking at changing the screen when your not actively in the hud/menu, you can do that with a animated texture (much like Euclid's C-Finder) on the pipboy......but it would be limited to observing your character model in 3rd person.

If you want something that shows a SS in the HUD I'd guess it would have to be a XML solution, which I know next to nothing about (but should be possible). You could have something along the lines of a simple quest script that has a staged timer under a menumode block (so it knows when the player is "in" the pipboy). The staged timer will determine when the screen saver kicks in, if there has been any input (key/mouse) and also synchronize the "frames" of the screen saver, since you'd essentially be outputting UI elements (pics) that simulate motion (I don't think there are any animated elements, but I could be 100% wrong about that).

The motion of the screen saver itself is very smooth;

Vid;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGbnmLxgomE

So your going to need a lot of frames to make it mimic the original. You could also use the video with some minor editing to produce those frames for the mod.

Begin MenuMode 1 will include the main pipboy screens, and you can additionally hook the repair (1035), data (1023), mod menu (1061) etc. You would also be able to set the duration before the SS kicks in via msgBox. GetKeyPress & GetMouseButtonPress or IsControlPressed could check for user input and along with the timer determine when to start the actual SS proper.

I might be able to struggle through the script, but I'd have to learn more about xml and FO's UI before I could hope to produce anything useful. Maybe someone with some experience in the last two has (xml, FO UI) has some insight? I'll also post this in the mod talk forum (typically more mod authors chime in on advanced subjects in that forum).

That would great the more input the better. I'm just learning the G.E.C.K. and the Skyrim Creation Kit myself and it's been rough going because my laptop is like 3 years old now so it's slow going but one day I hope to be a half decent modder myself. If this mod gets made it would be a very cool addition to the game, kind of tribute to the original games that made all these newer Fallout games possible.