Unsolvable mod issue! Eyeliners and racemenu

badindigestion

I searched really hard for a fix to this bug on the forums so if I missed a thread please point me in the right direction.

This is a problem that I've seen a lot of people ask about on the forums but none seem to know it's cause. The dreaded uneven eyes in racemenu because of bad overlay of eyeliner.

I've found multiple posts about this problem (with no fixes or suggestions) in this forum and other forums regarding the eyeliner not being symmetrical on both eyes.

Here's a link to another post someone else made half a year ago.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1385520-texture-out-of-place/

They took really good pictures of the problem, be sure to have a look at what I'm talking about.

So, I decided to do some testing by removing mods to find conflicts and I've tracked the problem down to the following file from my SG female textures renewal mod.

---->double eyelashes on upper eyelid of left eye caused by...femalenordeyelinerstyle_01.dds --->found in Skyrim\data\Textures\actors\character\characterassets

After that, I downloaded a replacement eyeliner file to replace this one and the problem still occurs. This implies that it's not so much of a problem with the file, but with maybe the racemenu.

This problem has appeared for me when using either UNP or CBBE body mods. Bug has gone away at one point for the UNP version, but has now come back, after doing a clean reinstall of Skyrim and reinstalling all previous mods from before using the CBBE version. And yes, I tried uninstalling all mods (to test conflicts) and only installed CBBE body mod, racemenu, and SG female textures renewal mod and the bug is still there. I also tried reinstalling these 3 mods and no luck. Also, it's not a problem with the racemenu mod according to it's creater expired6978 who commented about this problem on the posting page found here.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29624/?tab=4&&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fcomments%2F%3Fmod_id%3D29624%26page%3D29%26sort%3DDESC%26pid%3D0%26thread_id%3D879577&pUp=1

However, I am still lead to believe the racemenu might be the culprit.

My conclusion ---> The eyeliner dds file is only being mapped onto the left eye and not the right eye creating this uneven symmetry. If we can figure out how to apply the eyeliner to the right eye, I think this bug would be fixed.

Now I'm not a modder, I'm just a user. If any of you modders are reading this, do you have any explanation for why the dds file above is having this issue? And...how can this be fixed?

Update: I went to the enhanced character edit mod and manually downloaded the main file. I then went to meshes\character\characterassets and copied the femalehead.nif file to the directory meshes\characterassets because I didn't have a femalehead.nif file there. Loaded skyrim and the eyes were fixed. I'm posting this so others know how I fixed mine and I hope it fixes yours too.

Edited by badindigestion

• 5 months later...
badindigestion, on 31 Jul 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

Update: I went to the enhanced character edit mod and manually downloaded the main file. I then went to meshes\character\characterassets and copied the femalehead.nif file to the directory meshes\characterassets because I didn't have a femalehead.nif file there. Loaded skyrim and the eyes were fixed. I'm posting this so others know how I fixed mine and I hope it fixes yours too.

Thanks for this! No idea why, but I was missing a femalehead.nif too. I must have moved it at some point and not noticed. I couldn't figure out why the left eye wasn't matching with certain presets of mine.

Anyway, it worked. Thanks very much!

• 3 months later...

I am also having this problem :( So can you please tell me in detail how to fix it? You are basically the only person on the internet to deal with this glitch OvO.

Just wanted to know the directory of the nif file. I dont think meshes\character\characterassets and meshes\characterassets are correct, because I do not have any of the two folders here, and it should at least be "character assets" o.o

• 1 month later...

A late post is better than no post.

Download the main ECE mod file manually. Then go to main/meshes/characterassets and copy the femalehead.nif file from there to skyrim/data/meshes/characterassets. You will notice that this directory lacks a femalehead.nif

I spent like a month sifting through the installation files looking for something out of place. Was a horrible experience for someone with OCD.

Also, don't load a preset after adding the new femalehead.nif file. For some reason, when you save a face preset on race menu, it will keep the same face (ugly face) you had before when you load the preset. You will have to make your character from scratch.

Edited by badindigestion

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A late post is better than no post.

Download the main ECE mod file manually. Then go to main/meshes/characterassets and copy the femalehead.nif file from there to skyrim/data/meshes/characterassets. You will notice that this directory lacks a femalehead.nif

I spent like a month sifting through the installation files looking for something out of place. Was a horrible experience for someone with OCD.

Also, don't load a preset after adding the new femalehead.nif file. For some reason, when you save a face preset on race menu, it will keep the same face (ugly face) you had before when you load the preset. You will have to make your character from scratch.

You....i love you, i was starting to lose my mind, until i saw your post, thanks a lot!

• 8 months later...

This post was extremely helpful - I assumed it had to do with RaceMenu since a simple install of RM/Alt Start showed some strange issues with eye asymmetry.

That said, I know this information is old now, but just in case you do run into this issue: You don't have to make a new preset. The preset files can be opened in any text editor.

I ran into some unrelated issues a while back with femalenordeyelinerstyle_01.dds in that it would permanently apply to a preset as an underlying, unmodifiable "part." - other "parts" will sometimes do the same, such as dirt, and I've even had it use the wrong mouth before, which I couldn't change with sliders. You can simply open these files up, look for the culprit and remove double entries, or correct the part listed.

You can cross-reference with a non-afflicted preset to make sure you have the appropriate parts, but it's tremendously faster in most cases I would imagine, than remaking from nothing.

{
         "color" : 16777215,
         "index" : 26,
         "texture" : "Actors\\Character\\Character Assets\\TintMasks\\FemaleNordEyeLinerStyle_01.dds"
      },

(delete this snippet if you see two of them in the preset file, or your eye part doesn't need this particular eyelinerstyle.)
Edited by LoonyDoll

• 1 year later...

"You are a god! A god, I say!"

Thank you so much! I was really annoyed about this for the longest time. It's so weird that i didn't even have a femalehead.nif file. For those of you still having this problem, try it!! Worked 100%