Join Empire or Stormcloaks? My Thoughts

LeddBate

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really doesn't matter which side wins, just that the Civil War be ended quickly. Whether it's an independent state or part of the Empire, Skyrim will be an obstacle to the Dominion's conquest of Tamriel in the next Great War and a weaker Skryrim means less resources diverted to the northern front. The only real difference in the outcome of the Civil War is whether or not you believe the likes of Dunmer and Argonians deserve basic civil rights in the province or if it really is just for the Nords.

To be honest, I find Ulfric to be a hypocrite for trying to rebel against religious oppression when he had no problem with reestablishing an identical form of despotism against the Reachmen (mind you, those opportunistic atavists don't have my sympathies either). I also consider him a traitor to the Way of the Voice the moment he used the Thu'um against Torygg. It's one thing to leave the Greybeards if you decided their way of life was not for you but to use what you learned from them in a way that goes against the whole point of their order is almost as bad as killing Paarthurnax. At least stand by your bullshit honestly.

• 9 months later...

1) Except there are plenty of successful Dunmer in Stormcloak-controlled territories, and a Stormcloak-controlled Morthal yields an Argonian housecarl. Most of the Grey Quarter Dunmer are of House Hlaalu who have long lived fat and lazy lives under the Empire, forsaking the teachings of Veloth. True, a couple Nords in Windhelm hate the Gray Quarter Dunmer, most of whom are of House Hlaalu, but you know who hates Hlaalu Dunmer even more? Every other Dunmer.

2) Ulfric didn't establish that. He just helped enforce the previous rule of the Jarl of Markarth. Similarly, the executions were not because of race or religion, but whether or not the person in question had Forsworn connections.

3) "True need" is vague as heck. Ulfric believed that the people of Skyrim truly needed to see how weak Empire-backed Jarls were, so he needed a complete victory in the duel.

• The Mages Guild tried to ban necromancy to please the Muggles and was justly punished by imploding into the Synod and College of Whispers.
  • House Hlaalu banned slavery to please the Empire and was justly punished by having their Great House title removed.
  • Astrid was justly punished for trying to break away from the Dark Brotherhood's traditional Night Mother worship.
  • It is only natural for pro-Empire jarls to be justly punished for agreeing with the White Gold Concordat's Talos ban.
Edited by MidbossVyers