The Architect

brokenergy

The Architect first appeared in the book "The Calling" and is again appeared in The Awakening. I would like to know from you good people of your opinions about him. Should he live or die? Do you think that it would impact the future? And is the impact for the good of all or a disaster waiting to happen?

Interesting choice of discussions.

The expansion threw a real twist on it, what with him now having the ability to free the DS from the Calling of the Old Gods. I would say, that truly, he is neither. And I say that, because predominantly, he doesnt know the concept of good and evil. Or right from wrong. Our sense of morality doesnt come into play on his judgement, because he doesnt fully understand it.

Also throw in his limited sense of emotions. (yes, he might have them, but he's never learned much of anything about them, or their effects). So for instance, say... compassion. He knows how to give mercy to a foe that will be of benefit to him, or his goals, but if not, he doesnt know any reason to go to the trouble to keep the other DS from killing somebody.

HIs intentions, are good. He wants to see peace between our two races, and he wants to free his own people from the Old Gods' Calling. But he has to do so at the expense of killing off a portion of his own, and an even larger portion of ours, and doesnt care. Would that be considered evil to do that?

Some would say yes. But take into account that he may not have the CAPACITY to care, or if he does, that he doesn't know HOW to care. Is that then still evil?

And also consider, that if it's evil to bring a race to near extinction...what does that make us humans, who have done it all throughout histrory?

He's a THREAT. That, I will not argue in the least. But good, or evil....I say neither.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My choice... was to kill him. His affect of more intelligent DS was too much of a threat for him to kep doing it. It was revealed that once given their freedom, and given intellect, that the DS as a whole, couldnt live in peace. They broke into factions, and continued war. Even between themselves. Couple that with their taint, and I found it better for them to be dumb, and confining their activities to the deep roads.

If he'd been allowed to live, and continue, he would have brought about an enormous change in the future. One that would have cost many many many lives to elves, humans, and dwarves. And blighted the face of Ferelden forever.

Oh, and I know you havent played the expansion yet, so I'll fill you in. Remember in the book how in his plan, all the human(noid) surivors would have had to have been wardens, to survive? Well, turns out the ulterior motive for that, is reveald in the Expansion. How does he free the DS from the calling of the Gods?

Blood. Our Blood. Our TAINTED blood.

He needs more wardens in order to be able to free the ds.

He is...interesting...When you first meet him, my opinion was I'm ready to rip your creepy arms off, but when you meet him in the Mother's Lair, my first playthrough of Awakening was to let him be. Perhaps he isn't really a good guy or a bad guy, but more of a neutrality. He does what he can to make life easier for his people(...uhhh, creatures?) no matter the cost.

Out of all characters from DA series, he is one of most intriguing character of them all (the others being Morrigan and Flemeth {more Flemeth than Morrigan to be honest}). I don't know personally what to do with him, as he ticks all my moral criteria but is a threat to Thedas. He is like Legion in ME2 in a way, all he wants is a place for his people to live but what would happen if was killed by one his own (surprise, surprise!). If all this gets transfered to DA2 and then you find out that the Architect would have been a useful ally, then I'm screwed or at least interested in the results.

Well, you get a better set of endings if you kill both he and Mother. So I guess that whacking him isn't such a bad thing

One of the things that makes a really good character, is mystery. Like you said with Flemeth... there is just so much about her, that we dont know. And our minds conjure up all kinds of stuff about her, her motivations, her goals, etc.

You don't have to hide the spoilers from me DWolf, I already know the ending. That's what you get for spending time at wikis and wreck your game plans. I'm still going to play Awakening, only if 1.04 is released (which on it's way as all the bugs have been accounted for in the official forums). You're right mystery is one way to make a great character, another is that they have to be likable. We connect with characters just the same we connect with people. Do you think and that edges of Orlais's territory could be a good place for Darkspawn to set up their new home?

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091203074212/dragonage/images/8/80/ThedasMap.jpg

I can't embed it because it is too big and I don't know how to shrink it. Sorry

Ok. Well, since I am under the impression that you havent played it yet, I figured better safe than sorry :wink:

I hope, very very much so hope, that you're right, and that patch 1.04 will at least help to deal with some of this crap.

Indeed, we do relate to them a lot the same way that we do with people. There's many times that I have to tell myself, its just something somebody made up. Its just something that somebody made up. Just like a character on TV or in a movie.

I remember back when the big craze was about the "Predator". Old Arnie movie. Part of the HUGE draw about them, was the mystery. The movie didnt do a lot to explain them, and there was TONS of conjecture about them after that.

Unless they could get something worked out with the Orlesian Wardens, I dont think so. Too close to Orlesian territory.

I don't think that 1.04 would make much difference away. BW hasn't even fixed Origins, now with Awakening I don't think that they could deal with it. Hope I could be proven wrong.

The Architect's motives may be evil for all mortals, but I think that it would be beneficial to the dwarves mostly. The Architect's faction is a very small faction anyway and if you are the Orlesian Warden for example, you would return to Andersfel because of fears of another blight. This could mean even if the Architect is alive and bring more darkspawn to his cause, there are still going to factions that are going to oppose him and the greater consequence of Morrigan and the child (if you chose that path).

I just don't understand why you can't have a save after your victory in Awakening like Origins because by the looks of it you or the Orlesian warden are going to be the next protagonists for DA2, nothing to do with another era like the rumors in the official forums (I hope that won't happen).

I think I remember Sigrun saying something smart when at the end and confronted by the Architect; do you really want more intelligent darkspawn? Regardless of his intentions, more intelligent darkspawn are a dangerous thing...at least with a blight...well, you kill the archdemon and they go back...and only 2 archdemons to go so then there will be no more blights, I guess at least.

The idea is intriguing, is he Evil or Good. I have to agree with Darkewolf, he is neither. The idea of wanting to get a safe place for his people is the same as the human and elven idea, and look how well that turned out...

When you have two races, or even two ethnicities, the one with the lesser advantages is always displaced by the one with the greater. It is a simple fact of time, history and nature. You will probably note that I don't bother listing the dwarves, and for good reason, being underground, away from where humans and elves traditionally live, means they have effectively removed themselves from the contested areas, which is why they are under constant darkspawn attack.

That means your choice is to either A. kill every darkspawn as usual until you manage to wipe them out, or B. leave your only ally who isn't trying to take up your breeding room to their fate alone. I like the dwarves as allies, they stay outta your farmland, do all the mining work you can't (Lyrium) and keep smashing away at one of your most notorious foes who tends to make off with your people (darkspawn).

Take all that into consideration and in the end, you really only have one logical choice in dealing with the Architect, genocide with extreme prejudice. As well as all that, more intelligent darkspawn like he is trying to create, means a harder enemy to fight. When given a choice between kill him and have animalistic retards to fight, or let him live and organized warbands instead, I vote kill first, never bother with more questions.