The Architect

brokenergy

hahaha yeah, using the history between the elves and humans was good. Very good analogy and also funny as well :wink: :thumbsup:

While on the subject of the intelligent ones having been organized....they were also deviously diabolical. I mean, dumb beasts wouldnt have set up the attacks on the elves, and made it look as though the humans did it, so as to weaken both forces as well as to help hide their own presence and movements.

"Evil" only means something from a given point of view. The Architect doesn't think he's Evil. You could probably talk to him and not think of him as Evil.

Still, the Darkspawn taint is a deadly poison that kills most living animals fast (and painfully), and the rest slow (and painfully). As a species, they only reproduce by violence and infection, taking unwilling women and painfully transforming them into brood mothers. Nothing in the Architect's plan will change any of this. From his POV he's not evil; from the POV of Humans, Elves & Dwarves, he's as close to Evil as it gets.

He's "The Ends Justify the Means" Evil rather than cartoony "Torture Rape Kill Bwahahahaha" Evil. David Gaider and Bioware are good at that kind of bad guy.

I actually like his character. He pretty sensible and want a place for his people in this world that created them. I tend to like characters with truly inhuman morales as this is so rare in a fantasy setting. All races are the same as humans in a moral ways with some aspects exaggerated ( like almost saint and forgiving elves, to thick headed dwarfs etc.) even DAO didn't mowed from this except taking "screw you elves" on a new high.

And I think that no matter which way but humans have a hand in creating spawns and so should pay for it even if it will lead to total annihilation of intelligent races.

A few human leaders may have been turned into Darkspawn by the Maker, if the Chantry isn't full of it (and we get plenty of hints that the Chantry might be full of it; at the least, we know that their leaders can be arogant, selfish, corupt, and political whores). If I were a human in the Dragon Age setting, let alone a Dwarf or Elf, I wouldn't see that as making me in any way responsible for the creation of the Dark Spawn. Even if it did, I wouldn't see that responsibility as obligating me to let women be kidnapped and forced to become Brood Mothers, or obligating me to let the Dark Spawn kill off most of my species.

That said, the sins of the fathers passing onto their sons is one of the oldest religious arguments, and it's fun to see the Bioware writers playing with it.

The Architect is an easy character to feel sympathy for, and from his point of view he's doing the best he can for his people. Unfortunately his plan for "peaceful co-existence" requires genocide. Passing that off as "hard choices" is sophistry.

• 10 years later...